Harry Alexander



Feb 25, 1895

Born in Liverpool, England


Nov 7, 1914

Attested into the 21st Battalion in Kingston, Ontario 

Ø      Number 59006 (temporary number 837)

Ø      Next of kin given as John Alexander, father, Kingsford, England

o       His mother is noted as Mrs. L. Blackwell, 50 York Rd. Hove, Sussex, England

Ø      Previous occupation given as Farmer

Ø      Previous military experience given as 2 years with the 15th Regiment, Canadian Militia, Belleville

Ø      Religion given as Methodist

Ø      Assigned to “H” Company

o       This was later reorganized into “D” Company 

The battalion trained in the Kingston area with headquarters in the Kingston Armouries


Dec 13, 1914

Admitted to the Kingston Hospital with a wound to his hand


Dec 15, 1914

Discharged to duty from hospital


May 6, 1915

Embarked the RMS Metagama in Montreal, Quebec


May 15, 1915

Disembarked in Devonport, England and the battalion proceeded to the West Sandling Camp near Hythe, Kent to continue training


Jul 14, 1915

Admitted to the Shorncliffe Military Hospital with deformed toes.  The small toe of his right foot was amputated and an ingrown toenail was repaired.


Jul 27, 1915

Transferred to the Royal Victoria VAD (Volunteer Aid Detachment) Hospital


Aug 24, 1915

Discharged from hospital to light duties


Sep 14, 1915

Embarked the St. Seiriol in Folkestone


Sep 15, 1915

Disembarked in Boulogne, France and the battalion proceeded to St. Omer


Jan 11, 1916

While in the N & O front line trenches, he was buried by the explosion of an artillery shell and suffered a concussion.  He was admitted to the No. 5 CFA (Canadian Field Ambulance)


Jan 12, 1916

Transferred to the No. 8 CCS (Casualty Clearing Station) then transferred the same day to the No. 13 Canadian General Hospital where his diagnosis was changed to read shell shock


Jan 19, 1916

Transferred to the No. 1 Convalescent Depot, Boulogne


Jan 31, 1916

Discharged to the Base Details in Boulogne as unfit for frontline service


Feb 20, 1916

Transferred to the Base Depot in Boulogne


Apr 11, 1916

Granted 7 days leave


Apr 21, 1916

Returned to duty from leave


May 2, 1916

Admitted to No. 9 Stationary Hospital with a diagnosis that reads NYD (Not Yet Determined)


May 28, 1916

Diagnosis was changed to read VDG (Venereal Disease Gonorrhea)


May 29, 1916

Discharged to duty at the CBD (Canadian Base Depot) in the Rouelles Camp, Havre


May 30, 1916

Left the CBD and rejoined the 21st Battalion the following day in the “A” Camp (later renamed the Micmac Camp)


Jun 13, 1916

Admitted to the No. 1 CFA after being buried by a shell explosion diagnosed with shell shock.  He was transferred to the No. 3 Stationary Hospital the same day


Jun 16, 1916

Invalided to England aboard the Hospital Ship Cambria

On arrival in England he was admitted to the No. 3 Northern General Hospital in Sheffield

Posted to the CCAC (Canadian Casualty Assembly Centre) while in hospital


Jun 17, 1916

TOS the CCAC in Folkestone


Jul 14, 1916

Transferred to the Central Hospital in Litchfield


Sep 3, 1916

Transferred to the Shorncliffe Military Hospital


Sep 10, 1916

Transferred to the Canadian Red Cross Hospital in Buxton and the diagnosis reads Trench Fever.  Lumbago was later added to the diagnosis


Nov 21, 1916

Discharged from hospital and reported to the CCAC in Hastings


Nov 29, 1916

On Command to the Command Depot in Hastings


Mar 11, 1917

Discharged from St. Leonard’s Hospital and posted to the EORD and attached to No. 3 CCD


Mar 19, 1917

Posted to the 6th Reserve Battalion in Seaford


May 27, 1917

Posted to the 21st Battalion


May 28, 1917

Arrived at the No. 2 CIBD (Canadian Infantry Base Depot) in Etaples and TOS (Taken On Strength) the 21st Battalion


Jun 14, 1917

Left the CIBD and joined the 21st Battalion in billets in Coupigny


Jul 28, 1917

Attached to the 4th TMB (Trench Mortar Battery) for duty


Aug 16, 1917

While carrying ammunition to the front on the night of August 15/16, there was an explosion and he was knocked unconscious.  He does not remember anything until regaining consciousness at the No. 16 General Hospital in Le Treport, admitted with a diagnosis that reads Shell Shock.  He was struck on the back of his head with a shell fragment and also suffered from gas poisoning at the same time.


Sep 18, 1917

Invalided to England aboard the Hospital Ship Essequibo

Admitted to the St. John VAD (Volunteer Aid Detachment) Hospital in Cheltenham

Posted to the EORD while In hospital in England


Oct 1, 1917

Reported to be dangerously ill


Oct 5, 1917

Removed from the dangerously ill list


Nov 2, 1917

Transferred to the Canadian Convalescent Hospital, Epsom.  He is noted as sleeping poorly, distinct tremors in hands and legs, as well as suffering from severe headaches and vomiting


Jan 4, 1918

Transferred to the No. 5 Canadian General Hospital, Liverpool


Feb 16, 1918

Discharged from hospital and invalided to Canada aboard the Hospital Ship Llandovery Castle


Mar 1, 1918

Disembarked in Halifax, Nova Scotia and proceeded to Kingston, Ontario


Mar 5, 1918

Admitted to the Queen’s University Hospital with a diagnosis that reads Shell Shock


Apr 30, 1918

Granted sick leave until May 9, 1918


May 9, 1918

Failed to return from leave and declared to be AWL (Absent Without Leave)


May 15, 1918

Returned from leave and forfeited 7 days pay for overstaying his pass


May 20, 1918

Transferred to the Fettercairn Convalescent Camp near Chaffey’s Locks, north of Kingston that was operated by the Hotel Dieu Hospital, Kingston


Jul 12, 1918

Transferred back to Queen’s University Hospital, Kingston


Jul 19, 1918

Discharged from hospital and TOS the District No. 3 Casualty Company in Kingston


Jul 24, 1918

Discharged from the CEF in Kingston, Ontario

Ø      Rank on discharge Private

Ø      War Service Badge Class “A” issued, number not recorded

Ø      Proposed residence on discharge 32 Wyatt St., London, Ontario

o       This was later changed to 60 Wellington St., London, Ontario

Following his discharge the 1914-15 Star, British War Medal and Victory Medals were sent to him at 32 Wyatt St., London


Jul 1, 1956

Harry Alexander died and his widow’s address was recorded as Mrs. Lillian Alexander, 123 Jasper St., Syracuse, New York, USA


Return to Tribute list