Henry Arthur Berry

Research by Carol Cannon.  Thank you

Aug 4, 1889

Born in St. Luke’s, London, England to Frederick George Berry and Annie (nee Franklin) Berry


Dec 10, 1914

Attested into the 21st Battalion CEF in Kingston, Ontario

Ø  Number 59061 (temporary number 1152)

Ø  Next of kin given as Mrs. Annie Berry, mother, Hackney             London, England

Ø  Previous occupation given as Labourer

Ø  No previous military experience given

Ø  Religion given as Church of England

Ø  Posted to the Depot Company

The battalion trained in the Kingston area through the winter with headquarters in the Kingston Armouries


May 6, 1915

Embarked the RMS Metagama in Montreal, Quebec



May 15, 1915

Disembarked in Devonport, England and the battalion proceeded to the West Sandling Camp, near Hythe, Kent to continue training


Jul 19, 1915

Declared to be AWL (Absent Without Leave)


Jul 23, 1915

Reported for duty and forfeited 5 day’s pay and restricted to half pay for 1 month as punishment for his absence

Sep 14, 1915

Embarked the St. Seiriol in Folkestone



Sep 15, 1915

Disembarked in Boulogne, France and the battalion proceeded to St. Omer


Nov 2, 1915

While the 21st Battalion was in Division Reserve and resting in billets in the town of La Clytte, Belgium, Private Berry was in the nearby town of Dickybush and was blown off feet and fell on his back by a shell concussion. He was stunned but not unconscious. The shell landed about 15 yards away from him.

He was admitted to the Division’s Rest Station at the No. 5 Canadian Field Ambulance in Locre, Belgium for treatment of Bronchitis, nervousness and deafness in his left ear.


Nov 15, 1915

Transferred via the No. 7 AT (Ambulance Train) and admitted to the No. 5 British Red Cross Hospital in Wimereux, France


Nov 20, 1915

Invalided to England aboard the Hospital Ship Cambria


On arrival in England he was admitted to the Bevan Military Hospital in Sandgate

Transferred to the 39th Reserve Battalion for pay purposes while in hospital


Dec 13, 1915

Transferred to the No. 2 Kent VAD (Volunteer Aid Detachment) Hospital in Ramsgate

Doctors declare that he will never be fit for active service in the winter time


Jan 28, 1916

Transferred to the No. 2 Canadian Convalescent Hospital in Monks Horton


Feb 15, 1916

Transferred to the CCAC (Canadian Casualty Assembly Centre) for pay purposes while in hospital


Mar 14, 1916

Discharged from hospital


Mar 17, 1916

Medical Board held at Shorncliffe recommends 6 weeks of Physical Training


Mar 20, 1916

Admitted to the Military Convalescent Hospital in Woodcote Park complaining that he was unable to sleep


Apr 1, 1916

Transferred to the County of London War Hospital in Epsom


May 3, 1916

Transferred to the Granville Special Hospital in Ramsgate


May 10, 1916

Transferred to the Military Hospital in Ramsgate


Jun 6, 1916

Transferred to the Westcliffe Ear and Eye Hospital in Folkestone with a nasal obstruction


Jun 9, 1916

Surgery performed to relieve the nasal obstruction


Jun 21, 1916

Transferred back to the Granville Special Hospital in Ramsgate


Jul 25, 1916

Medical Board at Shorncliffe recommends a further 6 weeks of physical training

Discharged from hospital


Aug 8, 1916

Declared to be Absent Without Leave


Aug 30, 1916

Board of Enquiry held at Folkestone declared him to be illegally absent and his kit deficient in the amount of $33.20.  To forfeit 21 days pay and allowances and a pay stoppage of #33.20.


Sep 6, 1916

Declared to be a Deserter


Sep 11, 1916

Struck Off Strength of the CEF as a Deserter with the forfeiture of any medal entitlement


Return to Tribute list