John Henry Clark, MM



Mar 21, 1899

Born at Wales Ontario to James and Nellie Clark (nee Degray) 

Note that the town of Wales Ontario no longer exists, as it was flooded to create the St Lawrence Seaway


May 6, 1916

Attested into the 93rd Battalion at Peterborough Ontario 

Ø      Number 195922

Ø      Next of kin given as James S Clark (father) of 100 Dublin St, Peterborough Ontario

Ø      Previous occupation given as Assistant Operator

o       Later changed to read Cinema Operator

Ø      No previous military experience given

Ø      Religion given as Presbyterian


Jul 15, 1916

Embarked the RMS Empress of Britain Halifax Nova Scotia



Jul 25, 1916

Disembarked at Liverpool England


Aug 12, 1916

TOS (Taken On Strength) the CCAC (Canadian Casualty Assembly Centre) at Otterpool and shown to be On Command to the 93rd Battalion for PBD (Permanent Base Duty) as a result of being underage


Oct 6, 1916

Posted to the 39th Reserve Battalion at West Sandling Camp and attached to the 3rd CTB (Canadian Training Battalion) for Base Duty


Jan 4, 1917

Attached to the 6th Reserve Battalion


Jan 31, 1917

Attached to the COC (Canadian Ordnance Corps) at Ashford


Feb 15, 1917

Admitted to the VAD (Voluntary Aid Detachment) Hospital at Ashford diagnosed with Tonsillitis


Mar 3, 1917

Discharged to duty from hospital


Mar 5, 1917

Ceased to be attached to the COC and returned to the 6th Reserve Battalion


Mar 11, 1917

TOS the EORD (Eastern Ontario Regimental Depot) but remained attached to the 6th Reserve Battalion


Jun 19, 1917

Posted to the 21st Battalion


Jun 20, 1917

Arrived at No 2 CIBD (Canadian Infantry Base Depot) in France and TOS the 21st Battalion


Jul 8, 1917

Left 2 CIBD and joined the 2nd Entrenching Battalion


Aug 20, 1917

Left the 2nd Entrenching Battalion and joined the 21st Battalion in the field 

The Battalion was in billets at Fosse 10 cleaning up following a raid on the enemy lines a few days earlier.   

Assigned to “A” Company, No 3 Platoon


Nov 11, 1917

During the fighting at Passchendaele he was subjected to a gas attack, although not hospitalized


Dec 5, 1917

Announced in the 2nd Canadian Division Routine Orders that A/L/C JH Clark is to receive the Military Medal 

There is no mention in the file as to when he was appointed to the rank of Acting Lance Corporal


Jan 12, 1918

The Battalion paraded at Westrehem where Lieut General Sir Arthur Currie KCB, KCMG, presented Acting L/Cpl Clark with the riband of the Military Medal for his actions on November 11, 1917


Jan 26, 1918

Received shrapnel wounds to arms, face and chest and admitted to No 5 CFA (Canadian Field Ambulance).  He was transferred the same day to No 18 CCS (Casualty Clearing Station)


Jan 27, 1918

Transferred via No 20 AT (Ambulance Train)


Jan 28, 1918

Admitted to No 1 Canadian General Hospital


Jan 29, 1918

Invalided to England aboard the Hospital Ship Stad Antwerpen


Posted to the EORD Seaford while in hospital and admitted to the King George Hospital, Stamford Rd, London


Feb 8, 1918

Transferred to the Manor War Hospital, Epsom


Feb 14, 1918

Transferred to the Military Convalescent Hospital at Epsom


Feb 23, 1918

Military Medal announced in the London Gazette No 30540


 The citation reads;

“For conspicuous bravery on the 11th November.  This NCO was in charge of a party of stretcher bearers evacuating wounded from the front line.  When carrying out a wounded man the party came under an intense bombardment.  By his splendid example he steadied his party and managed to evacuate the casualty who required immediate attention, thereby saving his life.  On the return trip a direct hit was made on his party killing two and wounding three.  L/Cpl Clark with the remaining unwounded men carried the three wounded men to the dressing station, over a mile away working constantly under heavy shell fire and gas for fourteen hours.  He then returned to the trenches where he carried on with his duty, setting an excellent example to the remaining men.”


Mar 1, 1918

Transferred to the Manor War Hospital, Epsom 

Developed acute Mastoiditis behind left ear. 


Mar 30, 1918

Surgery was performed to relieve the drainage from behind his left ear


Apr 5, 1918

Transferred to No 3 CCD (Canadian Convalescent Depot) at Seaford


May 22, 1918

Transferred to the Military Convalescent Hospital at Woodcote Park, Epsom


Jun 17, 1918

Began a regimen of Physical Training and exercise


Jul 3, 1918

Discharged to duty


Sep 5, 1918

TOS 6th Reserve Battalion at Seaford on discharge from No 3 CCD


Dec 12, 1918

On Command to 3 Wing, Kinmel Park, Witley, pending return to Canada


Feb 1, 1919

Embarked the SS Carmania at Liverpool



Feb 9, 1919

Disembarked at Halifax Nova Scotia and proceeded to Kingston Ontario


Feb 11, 1919

Posted to the Military District No 3 Casualty Company at Kingston Ontario


Feb 12, 1919

Granted leave with subsistence until February 25, 1919


Feb 26, 1919

Medical Board at the Barriefield Camp, Kingston, notes the following 

Ø      Hoarseness and partial loss of voice from chronic Laryngitis.  This has been constant since November 1917 when he was gassed

Ø       Suffers from ringing in the ears caused from a concussion received from a shell exploding near him which caused shrapnel wounds to his face, both arms and chest

Ø      His condition is considered to be permanent


Mar 6, 1919

Discharged from the CEF at Kingston Ontario 

Rank on Discharge – Pte

Proposed residence on discharge – 100 Dublin St, Peterborough Ontario


Apr 28, 1927

British War Medal, Victory Medal and Military Medal sent to him at 593 Old Orchard Ave, NDG Montreal Quebec

Above is from the July 1935 issue of the Communiqué, the 21st Battalion post war newsletter



Pte John Henry Clark, MM, died at North Lancaster Ontario in 1970 

Return to Tribute list