Alexander Hart "Scotty" Dickson


Nov 30, 1884

Born in Edinburgh, Scotland to Peter and Elizabeth (nee Hart) Dickson


Mar 24, 1915

Attested into the 39th Battalion in Lindsay, Ontario 

Ø      Number 412484

Ø      Next of kin given as Elizabeth Hart Dickson, mother, 267 St. Helen’s Ave., Toronto, Ontario

Ø      Previous occupation given as Carpenter

Ø      No previous military experience given

Ø      Religion given as Presbyterian

Ø      Assigned to “A” Company 

Private Dickson is shown on the payroll of the 45th Victoria Regiment, Canadian Militia 

The battalion trained in the Belleville, Ontario area 

Alexander’s brother, George, had attested into the CFA (Canadian Field Artillery) the previous October.  He survived the war and returned to Canada in 1919


Apr 12, 1915

Fined (amount not shown) for being drunk and disorderly in the guard room


May 12, 1915

His pay record transferred to the 39th Battalion


Jun 4, 1915

Admitted to the Belleville Hospital with a diagnosis that reads La Grippe


Jun 5, 1915

Discharged to duty from hospital


Jun 17, 1915

Embarked the SS Missanabie in Montreal, Quebec


Jun 22, 1915

Forfeited 5 days pay while onboard ship.  The reason for this is not recorded in the file


Jul 3, 1915

Disembarked in Plymouth, England and proceeded to Shorncliffe and then on to Lydd to continue training


Jul 23, 1915

Fined $6.00 for being drunk


Aug 17, 1915

Sentenced to 14 days Field Punishment #2 and fined $6.00 for being absent from parade


Sep 14, 1915

Sentenced to 84 days Detention at a FGCM (Field General Court Martial) for breaking out of camp while serving field punishment and for being drunk and abusive when arrested on August 21, 1915


Sep 24, 1915

The 39th Battalion moved to West Sandling to continue training


Nov 30, 1915

Posted to the 21st Battalion


Dec 1, 1915

Arrived at the CBD (Canadian Base Depot) in the Rouelles Camp, Havre, France as part of a draft of 523 reinforcements from England and TOS (Taken On Strength) the 21st Battalion


Dec 10, 1915

Left the CBD to join the battalion


Dec 13, 1915

Joined the 21st Battalion in billets in La Clytte, Belgium


Feb 9, 1916

Sentenced to 28 days Field Punishment #1 for 

Ø      Absent from fatigue detail at 1 pm on January 29, 1916

Ø      Absent from fatigue detail at 4.30 pm on January 29, 1916

Ø      Impertinence and making a false statement to his superior officer


Feb 10, 1916

Sentenced to 14 days Field Punishment #1 for insolence to his Commanding Officer.  This sentence to be served at the end of the present sentence


Mar 17, 1916

Sentenced to an additional 14 days Field Punishment to begin at the end of the current sentence for refusing to obey an order while in detention


Apr 7, 1916

Placed in confinement to await trial for being absent and drunk


May 1, 1916

Tried by FGCM for


Ø      Absent from parade when warned to proceed to the front

Ø      Drunk while on active service


He was found not guilty on the first charge, but guilty of the 2nd charge of drunkenness and sentenced to 90 days Field Punishment #1.  30 days of that sentence was remitted by the GOC (General Office Commanding) 4th Brigade


Jun 9, 1916

Fined $6.00 for being drunk after being warned to be ready to move into the front line


Jul 21, 1916

Attached to the Wood Cutting Party for duty


Aug 7, 1916

Tried by FGCM for 

Ø      When on active service disobeying a lawful command given by his superior officer 

He was found guilty and sentenced to 90 days Field Punishment #1, but this was reduced to 60 days by the GOC of the 4th Brigade


Oct 16, 1916

Attached to the 255th Tunnelling Company for duty


Oct 26, 1916

Sentenced to 14 days Field Punishment #1 for being absent from 8.15 pm to 10.00 pm the previous day.


Nov 14, 1916

Ceased to be attached and rejoined the battalion


Nov 22, 1916

Attached to the 2nd Division Engineers for duty


Jan 18, 1917

Ceased to be attached and rejoined the battalion


May 9, 1917

Admitted to the No. 4 CFA (Canadian Field Ambulance) with a diagnosis that reads Impetigo and transferred the same day to the No. 12 CFA


May 16, 1917

Transferred to the No. 11 CFA


May 24, 1917

Discharged to duty from the CFA


Jun 14, 1917

Alexander Dickson’s father, Peter, attested into the York & Simcoe Foresters to be part of the CRT (Canadian Railway Troops).  After proceeding to England it was determined that he was unfit for service due to age and vision problems and returned to Canada


Aug 18, 1917

While at the entrance to a tunnel near Hill 70, Private Dickson was killed instantly by an enemy artillery shell and later buried in the Aix Noulette Communal Cemetery, France

Following the war the 1914-15 Star, British War Medal, Victory Medal, Plaque (Dead Man’s Penny) and Scroll were sent to his father, Peter Dickson, 267 St. Helen’s Ave., Toronto, Ontario

The Memorial Cross was sent to his mother, Mrs. E.H. Dickson, at the same address


From the Toronto Telegram September 7, 1917

Return to Tribute list