Francis Arthur Dye

Thank you to Bruce Kettles for providing the service file


Feb 19, 1887

Born at Norfolk England


Oct 20, 1914

Shown on the Payroll of the 41st Regiment, Brockville Rifles


Nov 3, 1914

Attested into the 21st Battalion at Kingston Ontario 

Ø      Number 59283 (temporary number 61)

Ø      Next of kin given as George Arthur Dye, father, of Victoria Rd, Yarmouth, Isle of Wight, UK

Ø      Previous occupation given as Farmer

Ø      No previous military experience given

Ø      Religion given as Church of England

Ø      Assigned to “A” Company 

It is unclear when the transfer occurred, but he was transferred to the CAMC (Canadian Army Medical Corps).  He is shown on the 21st Battalion Embarkation Roll with the service number 59283, indicating he was still a member of the 21st Battalion as of May 6, 1915.   

The 21st Battalion Pay Sheet shows his number as 61 until April of 1915, when it changed to 0374.  Then on May 30, 1915 the number is changed to 50430, the number that he retained until the end of the war. 

The number on his Pay Assignment sheets changes from 59283 to 50430 on June 1, 1915.


Nov 10, 1914

Removed from the 41st Regiment’s Payroll and placed on the 21st Battalion’s Payroll in Kingston


May 6, 1915

Embarked the RMS Metagama at Montreal Quebec


May 15, 1915

Disembarked at Devonport England and proceeded to the West Sandling Camp, near Hythe, Kent


Sep 14, 1915

Embarked the St Seiriol at Folkestone


Sep 15, 1915

Disembarked at Boulogne France and proceeded to St Omer 

On arrival in France he was TOS (Taken On Strength) the CAMC (Canadian Army Medical Corps) General and Attached to the 21st Battalion on Water Detail


Aug 12, 1916

Admitted to No 4 CFA (Canadian Field Ambulance) diagnosed with Influenza, then transferred to No 6 CFA


Aug 15, 1916

Transferred to the DRS (Divisional Rest Station) at No 5 CFA


Aug 17, 1916

Discharged to duty from the DRS and rejoined the 21st Battalion


Oct 21, 1916

Granted 10 days leave


Jun 1, 1917

Noted in the London Gazette #30107, Mentioned In Despatches


Aug 15, 1917

Admitted to the No 6 CCS (Casualty Clearing Station) with shrapnel wounds to his back and neck then transferred to No 23 CCS 

This occurred during the attack at Hill 70 when the 21st Battalion suffered heavy casualties


Aug 20, 1917

Transferred to No 18 Canadian General Hospital at Dannes Camiers


Sep 7, 1917

Transferred to No 6 Convalescent Depot at Etaples


Sep 9, 1917

TOS CGBD (Canadian Garrison Base Depot) at Etaples and posted to “A” Company for those recovering from wounds and illness


A riot took place at Etaples on this date that involved British troops.  1 soldier was killed and a civilian bystander wounded by Military Police attempting to stop the unrest.  There were no Canadian troops involved


Sep 20, 1917

Rejoined the 21st Battalion


Nov 18, 1917

Granted 14 days leave


Dec 1, 1917

Admitted to the Parkhurst Military Hospital while on leave diagnosed with Furunculosis (Boils) on the back of his neck, spreading down his spine.  It was determined that these were caused by his previous shrapnel wounds not healing properly 

Posted to the CAMC Depot while in hospital and ceased to be attached to the 21st Battalion


Jan 1, 1918

Transferred to the Military Convalescent Hospital at Woodcote Park, Epsom


Feb 21, 1918

Transferred to the Canadian General Hospital at Etchinghill, Lyminge, near Hythe, diagnosed with VDS (Venereal Disease Syphilis) 

While here he stated that he had no sexual contact as he had been in hospital.  It is unknown how or when he contracted Syphilis


Mar 6, 1918

Discharged to duty from hospital


Jul 8, 1919

On Command to the No 2 CDD (Canadian Discharge Depot) at Lyminge


Jul 10, 1919

Discharged from the CEF at No 2 CDD, London England 

Following his discharge, the 1914-15 Star, the British War Medal and Victory Medals were sent to him at Victoria Road, Yarmouth, Isle of Wight, UK 

Return to Tribute list