Charles Dyer


Sep 25, 1892

Born in St. Albans, Hertfordshire, England to Charles D. and Rhoda (nee Hale) Dyer


Aug 2, 1909

Married to Rose Henrietta Atkins in Buffalo, New York, USA


Feb 23, 1915

Attested into the 39th Battalion in Port Hope, Ontario 

Ø      Number 412569

Ø      Next of kin given as Rhoda Childs, mother, 132 Boon Ave., Toronto, Ontario

o       He also reported that he was married to Mrs. Rose Dyer, 172 Earlscourt Ave., Toronto

Ø      Previous occupation given as Teamster

Ø      No previous military experience given

Ø      Religion given as Wesleyan

Ø      Assigned to “B” Company 

The battalion trained in the Belleville, Ontario area


Apr 9, 1915

Forfeited 7 days pay for an unspecified offence


May 27, 1915

Sentenced to 5 days detention and loss of 5 days pay for an unspecified offence


Jun 17, 1915

Embarked the SS Missanabie in Montreal, Quebec


Jul 3, 1915

Disembarked in Plymouth, England and proceeded to Shorncliffe and then on to Lydd to continue training


Aug 5, 1915

Forfeited 2 days pay and sentenced to 4 days Field Punishment #2 for an unspecified offence


Aug 25, 1915

Admitted to the St. Martin’s Plain Tent Hospital with a diagnosis that reads VDG (Venereal Disease Gonorrhea)


Sep 24, 1915

The 39th Battalion moved to West Sandling to continue training


Sep 29, 1915

Discharged to unit from hospital


Oct 8, 1915

Forfeited 6 days pay and sentenced to 6 days Field Punishment #2 for an unspecified offence


Oct 27, 1915

Admitted to the Moore Barracks Hospital in Shorncliffe with a diagnosis that reads Scabies


Nov 17, 1915

Discharged to duty from hospital


Nov 24, 1915

Transferred to the 21st Battalion


Nov 25, 1915

Arrived at the CBD (Canadian Base Depot) in the Rouelles Camp, Havre, France as part of a draft of 272 reinforcements from England and TOS (Taken On Strength) the 21st Battalion


Nov 27, 1915

Left the CBD to join the battalion


Nov 30, 1915

Joined the 21st Battalion in the N & O trenches near Ridgewood


Feb 15, 1916

Attached to the Canadian Railway Construction Company for duty


Feb 22, 1916

Admitted to the No. 5 CFA (Canadian Field Ambulance) Rest Station with a diagnosis that reads Pharyngitis (an inflammation of the throat)


Feb 28, 1916

Discharged to duty from the rest station


Mar 16, 1916

Admitted to the No 5 CFA with a diagnosis that reads Tonsillitis and was transferred the same day to the No. 1 CCS (Casualty Clearing Station)


Mar 23, 1916

Transferred to the No. 6 CFA Rest Station and the diagnosis was changed to read PUO (Pyrexia of Unknown Origin) which is a fever without a known cause


Mar 24, 1916

Transferred via the No. 5 AT (Ambulance Train) and admitted to the No. 2 Canadian Stationary Hospital in Le Treport with a diagnosis that reads Influenza


Apr 14, 1916

Surgery performed to remove his tonsils


Apr 20, 1916

Ceased to be attached to the railway construction company


May 2, 1916

Transferred to the No. 1 Convalescent Depot in Boulogne to continue his recovery


May 12, 1916

Sentenced to 10 days Field Punishment #1 for stating a falsehood to an NCO and breaking out of camp


May 22, 1916

Discharged to base details for light duties from the hospital


May 28, 1916

Proceeded to join the battalion


Jun 1, 1916

Rejoined the 21st Battalion in the “A” Camp near Dikkebus, Belgium


Sep 15, 1916

During the Battle of the Somme, the 21st Battalion’s objective was a sugar refinery on the Albert-Bapaume Road, near Courcelette, France.  It was strongly defended by the German army and the battalion suffered many casualties.  Private Charles Dyer was first reported missing during that action, but his body was later recovered and buried in a nearby field.  At the end of the war an attempt was made to exhume his body and relocate him to a proper cemetery.  His remains could not be found and as a result, he is honoured on the Canadian National Vimy Memorial, Vimy Ridge, France.  At one point in time there was an unofficial report that he had been taken prisoner, but that proved to be false.

Following the war the 1914-15 Star, British War Medal, Victory Medal, Plaque (Dead Man’s Penny), Scroll and Memorial Cross were sent to his widow, Mrs. Rose Dyer, 172 Earlscourt Ave., Toronto, Ontario

A second Memorial Cross was sent to his mother, Mrs. G. Childs, 203 Sackville St., Toronto, Ontario


Return to Tribute list