Frank Trayton Ford

Jan 17, 1880

Born in Brighton, England to Frederick Trayton and Sarah Lawson (nee Carr) Ford


Nov 5, 1914

Attested into the 21st Battalion in Kingston, Ontario


Ø  Number 59331 (temporary number 633)

Ø  Next of kin given as Mrs. Philadelphia Ford, wife, Napanee, Ontario

Ø  Previous occupation given as Labourer

Ø  Previous military experience given as Royal Sussex Regiment for 6 years

Ø  Religion given as Church of England

Ø  Posted to “F” Company

o   This was later reorganized into “C” Company

The 21st Battalion trained in the Kingston, Ontario area through the winter of 1914-15.


Nov 17, 1914

Appointed to the provisional rank of Corporal


May 6, 1915

Embarked the RMS Metagama in Montreal, Quebec



May 15, 1915

Disembarked in Devonport, England and the battalion proceeded to the West Sandling Camp, near Hythe, Kent to continue training


Jul 1, 1915

Confirmed in the rank of Corporal


Jul 23, 1915

Reverted to the rank of Private at his own request


Sep 2, 1915

Posted to the Headquarters Staff to be employed as a Pioneer


Sep 14, 1915

Embarked the St. Seiriol in Folkestone



Sep 15, 1915

Disembarked in Boulogne, France and the battalion proceeded to St. Omer




Aug 8, 1916

While occupying the front line trenches on the Ypres Salient near Voormezeele, Belgium, the enemy landed a few artillery shells in the front line area.  Private Ford was buried by the explosion of one of those shells and after being dug out by his comrades, he was suffering from a concussion and evacuated to the No. 4 CFA (Canadian Field Ambulance) for first aid before being transported to the No. 10 CCS (Casualty Clearing Station) for further treatment.  The battalion’s war diary lists 4 casualties, 2 of which were described as Shell Shock.


Aug 10, 1916

Transferred via the No. 18 AT (Ambulance Train) and admitted to the No. 25 General Hospital in Hardelot, France


Aug 30, 1916

Transferred to the No. 1 Convalescent Depot in Boulogne


Sep 5, 1916

Discharged from hospital care after being reclassified as TB (Temporary Base) meaning he was not fit for combat duty.  He was transferred to the CBD (Canadian Base Depot) in the Rouelles Camp, Havre, France for light duties


Sep 9, 1916

Admitted to the No. 7 Canadian Stationary Hospital in Boulogne with a diagnosis that reads Neurasthenia


Sep 13, 1916

Invalided to England aboard the Hospital Ship Asturias


On arrival in England he was admitted to the 4th Southern General Hospital in Plymouth

Transferred to the CCAC (Canadian Casualty Assembly Centre) for pay purposes while in hospital


Oct 9, 1916

Transferred to the Canadian Convalescent Hospital in Bearwood Park, Wokingham


Feb 2, 1917

Embarked the SS Missanabie in Liverpool



Feb 11, 1917

Disembarked in Saint John, New Brunswick and proceeded to Quebec City, Quebec

Medical Board in Quebec City notes

Ø  Patient is very nervous and hyper-excitable

Ø  Suffers from insomnia

Ø  Has trouble with spine causing difficulty in walking

Ø  Suffers from headaches and dizziness

Ø  A little deaf in left ear

Ø  Board expects symptoms will last 2 to 3 months


Feb 22, 1917

Left Quebec City by train for Kingston, Ontario


Feb 23, 1917

Taken On Strength of the “C” Unit of the Elmhurst Convalescent Home, Kingston to be treated as an Out Patient

For the next 12 months Frank Ford was in and out of the convalescent home alternating between in and out patient status


Mar 20, 1917

Medical Board in Kingston notes

Ø  Patient is deaf in left ear and slightly deaf in right ear which may improve

Ø  Very nervous and suffers from tremors in hands

Ø  Has headaches and complains of constant dizziness

Ø  Has back pain and is unable to stoop

Ø  Board recommends further convalescent treatment


Feb 23, 1918

Discharged from the CEF in Kingston, Ontario

Ø  Rank on discharge Private

Ø  Proposed residence on discharge Napanee, Ontario

Following the end of the war the 1914-15 Star, British War Medal and Victory Medals were sent to him at Napanee, Ontario


Feb 26, 1919 Frank Trayton Ford's 13 year old son, Frank, was killed when he fell through the ice while skating on the Napanee River.  He died in an attempt to rescrue 2 of his friends who had fallen through ahead of him.  All 3 lost their lives.

 Sir Robert Baiden Powell, Chief Boy Scout, presented the Bronze Cross for Bravery
posthumously to Frank Ford's parents in a ceremony in Toronto, Ontatio

May 14, 1951

Frank Trayton Ford died while a patient in the Ontario Hospital, Kingston, Ontario of Paranoia and was buried in the Riverside Cemetery, Napanee, Ontario



Return to Tribute list