William Harrison

The Daily British Whig
Wednesday November 18, 1914

Soldier Is Missing

Private FW Harrison Cannot Be Found

The finding of a military cap along the water front between Brock and Clarence street led to the discovery that Frederick W. Harrison, a private attached to "F" company of the 21st Battalion for overseas duty, was missing, and it is feared that he fell into the water and was drowned.  The Police and military authorities are now looking for the missing soldier.  The harbor will be dragged.

Information from military circles state that Harrison has been missing from the ranks since Tuesday noon.  A representative of the Whig was informed that Harrison was noticed walking along the waterfront on Monday night about 10:30 o'clock.  The cap was picked up on Tuesday morning by a man named Cleary, living on Wolfe Island.

Harrison is thirty-three years of age, and enlisted in this city.  For some time he was a cook with the RCHA in Kingston.  He was born in London Eng.  The description given of him states that he is 5 feet 7 1-2 inches in height, clean shaven, weighing from 145 to 150 pounds.   He appeared to be well and happy and Capt Sills and the other members of "F" company can assign no reason for his absence and on account of the finding of the cap, it is believed that he fell into the water.

The cap, which was picked up along the water front was handed over to the police.  It has the initials "W.H." and his number 137.


Thursday November 19, 1914
Soldier Found Drowned

Police located body of FW Harrison in the harbor

Shortly before four O'clock on Wednesday afternoon the body of Private Frederick William Harrison was found in the harbor by the police.  Constables Bateson, Naylon, Craig and Jenkins commenced to grapple for the body about three O'clock.  While using their grappling irons near the stern of the steamer North King, which is laid up at the wharf, opposite the city hall, Constables Craig and Naylon came across the body and it was removed to the undertaking parlors of James Reid & Sons.  Dr. JE Mundell, coroner, was notified and after making an investigation he decided that there was no need of an inquest.  It is stated that the deceased was walking along the waterfront on Monday evening, and it is believed the he fell into the water.  There were no marks of violence on the body

A military cap was picked up along the waterfront on Tuesday morning and was handed to the police, and the same evening Harrison was reported by the military authorities as missing.  As he did not report to "F" company of the 21st Battalion, to which he was attached, by noon on Wednesday, an order was given to have the harbor dragged.

Deceased was a native of London England, and was thirty-three years of age.  He was employed as a cook for the RCHA in Kingston, and volunteered for overseas duty in Kingston.

Deceased has a wife and one child who live in Munroe County, Washington State, and also has one sister living in Toronto, whose address is unknown.  He had a small amount of money and some newspaper clippings in his pocket.

Text transcribed by Al Lloyd


Cataraqui Cemetery
Kingston ON


William Harrison is honoured on the Kingston Memorial Wall


Return to Tribute list