John Heaney

Jun 16, 1870

Born in Belfast, Ireland


Feb 19, 1915

Attested into the 21st Battalion in Lindsay, Ontario


Ø  Number 59451 (temporary number 1367)

Ø  Next of kin given as Mary Heaney, mother, 27 Port Dundas Road, Glasgow, Scotland

Ø  Previous occupation given as Plumber

Ø  No previous military experience given

Ø  Religion given as Presbyterian

Ø  Posted to the Depot Company

On attesting he lied about his age, stating that he had been born in 1878, not his actual year of birth 1870

The 21st Battalion trained in the Kingston, Ontario area through the winter of 1914-15.

Although he officially attested on this date, he was not TOS (Taken On Strength) the battalion until May 6, the day the battalion sailed from Montreal


May 6, 1915

Embarked the RMS Metagama in Montreal, Quebec



May 15, 1915

Disembarked in Devonport, England and the battalion proceeded to the West Sandling Camp, near Hythe, Kent to continue training


Jun 13, 1915

Sentenced to 10 days Detention and forfeited 3 days pay for being AWL (Absent Without Leave)


Jun 26, 1915

Posted to “D” Company


Aug 5, 1915

Forfeited 2 days pay and restricted to ½ pay for 1 month for being absent


Aug 24, 1915

Sentenced to 28 days Detention and forfeited 9 day’s pay for being absent from August 16 to August 24, 1915


Sep 14, 1915

Embarked the St. Seiriol in Folkestone



Sep 15, 1915

Disembarked in Boulogne, France and the battalion proceeded to St. Omer


Nov 30, 1915

Sentenced to 14 days Field Punishment No. 2 and 15 hours extra fatigue duty for being absent from the Ridgewood Camp in Belgium until being found drunk and arrested in Dickebusch


Sep 7, 1916

During the march towards the Somme in preparation for the attack on the sugar factory, Private Heaney fell out of the ranks and could not keep up due to dizziness and shortness of breath.

Admitted to the No. 4 CFA (Canadian Field Ambulance) with a diagnosis that reads Myalgia

Transferred to the No. 6 Canadian Field Ambulance and the diagnosis was changed to read DAH (Disordered Activity of the Heart). 


Sep 8, 1916

Transferred to the Division Rest Station at the No. 5 Canadian Field Ambulance


Sep 10, 1916

Transferred to the Reinforcement Camp in Val de Maison, France


Sep 14, 1916

Transferred to the CBD (Canadian Base Depot) in the Rouelles Camp, Havre, and his Medical Classification was changed to read “TB” meaning he was only fit for base duty

His true age was noted in his file as 46, not his stated age of 38


Sep 21, 1916

His medical classification was reduced to “C”, meaning he was only fit for non combat duty in England


Sep 23, 1916

Transferred to the CCAC (Canadian Casualty Assembly Centre) in Folkestone, England


Sep 28, 1916

Medical Board at Folkestone notes

Ø  Man suffers from Disordered Activity of the Heart and discharging in left ear

Ø  He looks older than his 46 years

Ø  He suffers from deafness and discharging in left ear

Ø  Complains of pain in his heart

Ø  There is marked irregularity in the heart

Ø  Has beginning Arterio Sclerosis


Sep 30, 1916

Medical exam at the West Cliff Canadian Eye and Ear Hospital in Folkestone notes

Ø  Patient suffers from Suppurative Otitis Media

Ø  Both ears drain from ruptured ear drums the condition is considered permanent

Ø  Board recommends discharge from the military due to hearing and age


Oct 19, 1916

Discharged from the CEF in Shoreham, England

Ø  Rank on discharge Private

Ø  Entitled to War Service Badge Class “A”

Ø  Proposed residence on discharge 5 Rose Hall, Glasgow, Scotland

Following the end of the war, the 1914-15 Star, British War Medal and Victory Medals were sent to him at 4 Fernwood Road, Newcastle on Tyne, Northumberland, England


Apr 26, 1930

John Heaney died in Poole, Dorset, England of Pulmonary Tuberculosis and Exhaustion and was buried in the Poole Cemetery.  His death was determined to be a result of his war time service

The Plaque (Dead Man’s Penny) and Scroll were sent to his widow, Mrs. Elizabeth Heaney, Dorchester Road, Poole, Dorset, England

No Memorial Cross was issued as he had married after his discharge and his mother was not alive


Return to Tribute list