Garfield Edward Jickles


Jun 1, 1890

Born at Greenbush Ontario


Mar 24, 1915

Attested in Kingston into the 21st Battalion 

Ø      Number 59505 (Temporary number was 1297)
Ø      Next of kin given as Addie Jickles (mother) of Picton Ontario
Ø      Occupation given as “Farmer”
Ø      No previous military service was recorded
Ø      Religion given as “Wesleyan”
Ø      Tip of first finger right hand was noted as missing


May 6, 1915

Embarked the RMS Metagama at Montreal Quebec for England


May 15, 1915

Disembarked in England and proceeds to West Sandling Camp


Jul 21, 1915

Forfeits one day’s pay for being Absent Without Leave


Sep 25, 1915

Transferred to the 39th Battalion


Oct 31, 1915

Transferred to the 21st Battalion


Nov 2, 1915

Joined the battalion in the field and TOS


Jan 7, 1916

Attached to the 250th Tunneling Company


Apr 10, 1916

Attached to the 2nd Tunneling Company


May 15, 1916

Admitted to Casualty Clearing Station with an infected Larynx


May 23, 1916

Discharged to Duty


Jun 7, 1916

Ceases to be attached to the 2nd Tunneling Company and attached to the 1st Tunneling Company


Nov 11, 1916

Taken into custody for assault on a Belgian woman on Nov 11, 1916


Nov 25, 1916

Convicted at Court Martial for assault on a Belgian woman and sentenced to 1 year Hard Labour (see court martial summary below)


Dec 3, 1916

Ceases to be attached to 1st Tunneling Company on being evacuated to Military Prison for 1 year Hard Labour


Jan 5, 1917

Admitted to 39 General Hospital at Havre with Scabies


Jan 17, 1917

Discharged to Military Prison at Havre


Sep 28, 1917

Released from prison with remainder of sentence being remitted.


Oct 1, 1917

Rejoined 21st Battalion from military prison


Jan 19, 1918

Attached to 1st Canadian Tunneling Company


Jan 31, 1918

Rejoined 21st Battalion from attachment


Mar 3, 1918

Attached to 1st Canadian Tunneling Company


Mar 10, 1918

Rejoined 21st Battalion from attachment


Jul 2, 1918

Granted 14 days leave – Was admitted to Endell St Military Hospital while on leave for a short duration with influenza – His leave was extended by 3 days


Jul 20, 1918

Rejoined battalion from leave


Aug 8, 1918

Reported as “Missing after action” at Amiens


Aug 9, 1918

Admitted to #5 Casualty Clearing Station with a gun shot wound in right arm and chest


Aug 10, 1918

Previously reported missing, now reported wounded - Transferred to No 10 General Hospital - Right arm amputated at shoulder joint after gangrene had set in as a result of a gun shot wound


Sep 1, 1918

Invalided to England aboard the “Panama”


Sep 2, 1918

Posted to EORD at Seaford and admitted to the Military Hospital at Frensham Hill


Oct 7, 1918

Transferred to Granville Canadian Special Hospital at Buxton, Derbyshire, England


Nov 12, 1918

Transferred to No 5 Canadian Hospital at Liverpool


Dec 10, 1918

Released from hospital to embark the HMT Essequibo for Canada



Dec 20, 1918

Disembarked at Halifax Nova Scotia


Dec 22, 1918

Posted to hospital section at Queen’s in Kingston


Dec 23, 1918

Granted leave with subsistence until Jan 6, 1919


Jan 22, 1919

Granted leave with subsistence until Feb 5, 1919


Feb 4, 1919

Transferred to Dominion Orthopedic Hospital, Christie St, Toronto


Feb 6, 1919

Forfeits 3 day’s pay for “an act to the prejudice of good order and military discipline”


Apr 9, 1919

Recommended by Medical Board at Dominion Orthopedic Hospital, Christie St, Toronto, that he be discharged as permanently unfit for military duty


Apr 15, 1919

SOS Hospital Section to Casualty Company, Park School


Apr 23, 1919

Discharged at Toronto as “medically unfit” due to right arm amputation 

Ø      War Service Badge Class “A” number 140189
Ø      Entitled to wear 1 Gold Bar (wound stripe)
Ø      Granted 183 days of “War Service Gratuity”



Nov 24, 1922

British War Medal and Victory Medal sent to Picton Ontario


Mar 31, 1959


Notre Dame Cemetery
Ottawa ON 





Garfield Edward Jickles


Library and Archives Canada reference 


Jeckells, Garfield E.

Regimental Number:





21st Bn






RG150 - Ministry of the Overseas Military Forces of Canada, Series 8, File 649-J-7931, Microfilm Reel Number T-8670, file access code 90, Finding Aid Number 150-5


NOTE:  There have been many different variations in the spelling of the last name.  In the Court Martial proceedings, as well as the service record, the spelling changes from page to page.  This is only a personal judgment, but I believe the proper spelling is “Jickles”.   My reasoning for this is the fact that he signed his discharge certificate with that spelling, as well as the same spelling is used on his grave marker.


The Court Martial was authorized on November 23, 1916.


President of the proceedings


Major WE Rothwell, 8th R. Innis Fus


Court Members


Captain L Murphy, 2/R Irish Regt

2nd Lieut GJ Forbes, 7/8th R Irish Fus


The Court Martial convened on November 25, 1916.

1st Charge: 

Ø      Committing a civil offence, that is to say, assault.  In that he, in the field, on the 3rd November 1916, assaulted Martha Doise, a Belgian girl.   (Sect 41(5) A.A.)



o       Guilty 


o       Guilty 


1 year imprisonment with hard labour


First Prosecution Witness


NOTE: The Victim, Martha Doise.  She did not speak English so an interpreter, R. Hoormaert, attached to the APM, 41st Division, had to be used to translate for her.


Martha Doise stated that “at about 12.30 noon on November 3rd, 1916, I was placing a halter on a cow at my father’s farm hear Reninghelst when a soldier, coming up behind me seized me and threw me to the ground; after throwing me to the ground, face downwards, he jumped on me, and put his knees on my back.  He had something in his hand, which I think was a knife.   My mother was about 200 yards away from me, and I screamed, hoping that she would hear me.  The accused tried to smother my screams, by placing his hand over my mouth, and in trying to scream and struggle away from him, he bruised me under both eyes and on the nose and lips.  I continued screaming and the accused then left me and ran away.  The accused did not try to do anything indecent to me.  My age is thirteen years.  The accused is the soldier who assaulted me.”



The accused declined to question the witness.

Second Prosecution Witness 

Constant Doise, father of the Victim.  He also required the use of a translator, M. Lysen.

He stated that “About 12.30 noon November 3rd, 1916, my daughter Martha, left my house near Reninghelst to go out to tend the cows.  She had no bruises or wounds on her face when she left.  She came back crying about ten minutes later and had bruises on her cheeks, nose, and chin.


The accused declined to question the witness.


Third Prosecution Witness 

Felicie Corneillie Doise, mother of the victim, who also used the services of the translator M. Lysen. 

She stated that “I am the mother of Martha Doise.  I live near Reninghelst.  About 12.30 noon November 3rd, 1916, my daughter Martha left the house to tend the cows.  About eight minutes afterwards I heard Martha screaming.  I went to the door and saw Martha running towards the house.  She was trembling and crying “Mother, Mother” and had mud on her face and bruises on her cheeks, nose, and chin.  There were no bruises on Martha’s face before she left the house.  I did not see any soldier assault my daughter.


The accused declined to question the witness. 

Fourth Prosecution Witness 

55400, CSM Corke, G.O., 1st Canadian Tunneling Coy 

He stated “Sir, on instruction from 41st Division MMP, I ordered 2nd Cpl Karney, W., to put the accused under close arrest on November 11th, 1916.” 

The accused declined to question the witness.

Fifth Prosecution Witness 

67984, 2nd Cpl W Karney, 25th Canadian Battalion, attached to the 1st Canadian Tunneling Company. 

He stated “Sir, on the evening of 11/11/16 on instructions from CSM Corke, I put the accused under close arrest.” 

The accused declined to question the witness. 


After the court made it’s finding of Guilt, evidence was introduced that spoke of the character of the accused by 2nd Lieut SR Attwood, 1/15th London Regt.  It consisted of a summary of the record of the accused which showed 2 instances of being Absent Without leave for short periods.  In one instance he was confined to barracks for 10 days plus 3 hours of pack drill.  In the second instance he was confined to barracks for 2 days.

 The accused did not question the witness or the evidence. 

The accused was also offered the opportunity to speak on his own behalf, but he declined. 

Both the finding of guilt and the sentence were upheld by the Officer Commanding the Canadian Infantry. 


Return to Tribute list