Frederick William Jones



May 18, 1897

Born at Kent England


Jul 28, 1915

Attested into the 76th Battalion at Welland Ontario 

Ø      Number 141708

Ø      Next of kin given as Elizabeth Jones (mother) of Niagara Falls Ontario

Ø      Previous occupation given as Buffer or Polisher

Ø      Previous military experience given as 44th Regiment and Welland Canal Force for 12 months

Ø      Religion given as Presbyterian

Ø      Assigned to “C” Company

Ø      Noted as a Bugler


Oct 20, 1915

Admitted to Exhibition Camp Military Hospital at Toronto Ontario with Otitis Media (an infection of the middle ear)


Oct 21, 1915

Discharged from hospital


Jan 26, 1916

Appointed to rank of Provisional Lance Cpl


Apr 23, 1916

Embarked the SS Empress of Britain at Halifax Nova Scotia



May 5, 1916

Disembarked at Liverpool England and proceeded to West Sandling Camp, near Hythe, Kent


Jun 28, 1916

Transferred to the 21st Battalion


Jun 29, 1916

Arrived at CBD (Canadian Base Depot) at Havre France and is TOS (Taken On Strength) the 21st Battalion


Jul 12, 1916

Left to join unit


Jul 13, 1916

Joined the 21st Battalion in the field 

The Battalion was in the Chippewa Camp and participated in the Sports Day with other units.  It was on this date that the announcement was made that L/C WSP Hughes was leaving the Battalion and L/Col EW Jones was taking over Command of the Battalion


Aug 19, 1916

Admitted to No 4 CFA (Canadian Field Ambulance) with Conjunctivitis (an infection of the eye)


Aug 20, 1916

Transferred to No 6 CFA


Aug 23, 1916

Transferred to No 3 CCS (Casualty Clearing Station)


Aug 24, 1916

Transferred to No 15 CCS


Sep 7, 1916

Discharged to duty


Sep 15, 1916

Blown up by shell explosion and was unable to return to his lines on his own. 

The following is from the personal diary of Pte Frank Whiting of the PPCLI 

17 September 1916

Waited with this man for two hours. His name is Jones and was with the 21st when they made the attack on the 15th. He and four others were struck by a shell which killed three and wounded another. He's been lying here ever
since. Trench is full of British and German dead - chiefly German...At last decided that stretcher party are not sending help or are perhaps knocked out by a shell. Start out for help alone. Saw a rifle stuck up some 200 yards to
the right. There are many such but went over to see if the man might be still alive. At first I thought he was dead but to my surprise he was alright. No food or water for two days – shot in the knee. Assure him of help as soon as possible and hurry on...Find a party of stretcher bearers
that will get one man so go back with them. They fix up the boy with the wounded back [Jones] and I got ahead to find another party to look after the lad in the shell hole. Got a bunch of volunteers about a mile away and lead them to where he is...

 To read the complet diary as posted to the Frontier School Division website follow this link

It appears that his back was treated at the Regimental Aid post and returned to duty in a few days




Sep 30, 1916

Wounded by shrapnel to face and right arm


Oct 1, 1916

Admitted to No 6 General Hospital at Rouen with shrapnel wounds to arm and face.  Noted as being seriously ill 

Surgery performed to remove piece of aluminum shell ring from right arm.


Oct 9, 1916

Removed from seriously ill list


Oct 11, 1916

Invalided to England aboard the Hospital Ship Aberdonian


Transferred to CCAC at Folkestone


Oct 14, 1916

Admitted to Hoole House Auxiliary Hospital at No 1 West General Hospital, Liverpool


Dec 10, 1916

Additional surgery performed on arm


Dec 30, 1916

Transferred to Granville Special Hospital at Ramsgate


Mar 10, 1917

Posted to the EORD (Eastern Ontario Regimental Depot) while in hospital


Mar 19, 1917

Discharged from hospital


Apr 12, 1917

Posted to Forestry Corps at Sunningdale


Apr 27, 1917

TOS No 34 Company, CFC (Canadian Forestry Corps)


Apr 29, 1917

Disembarked at Havre France and joined 34 Coy, CFC


Jul 28, 1917

Awarded a Good Conduct Stripe


Jan 3, 1918

Granted 15 days leave to England


Jan 21, 1918

Rejoined unit from leave


Mar 3, 1918

Admitted to #10 General Hospital with complications from old shrapnel wound to right arm


Mar 11, 1918

Discharged to Base Depot “A” (the Casualty Company) from hospital


Mar 17, 1918

Left Base Depot to join unit


Mar 19, 1918

Rejoined 34 Coy CFC in the field


Apr 5, 1918

Medical Board classified him as B 1 (fit for non-combat service either England or France)


Jul 29, 1918

“Sentenced to 14 days FP #2 (Field Punishment) and ordered to pay the damages for Conduct to the prejudice of good order and military discipline, by creating a disturbance in the village of Beaumont-le-Roger and breaking a window, the property of a French civilian, valued at 100 francs.”


Oct 8, 1918

Granted 14 days leave to England


Oct 26, 1918

Returned to unit from leave


Dec 14, 1918

Posted to CFC Depot at Sunningdale


Jan 11, 1919

On Command to CDD (Canadian Discharge Depot) at Rhyl 

Attached to CCC (Canadian Concentration Camp) at Kinmel Park pending return to Canada


Jan 18, 1919

Embarked the SS Aquitania at Liverpool


TOS No 2 Military District Depot and posted to the Casualty Company at Exhibition Camp, Toronto Ontario


Jan 24, 1919

Disembarked at Halifax Nova Scotia


Jan 30, 1919

Granted leave with subsistence until February 13, 1919


Feb 22, 1919

Discharged from the CEF at Toronto Ontario as Medically Unfit 

Ø      War Service Badge Class “A” issued – number 88129

Ø      War Service Badge Class “B” issued – number 53983

Ø      Proposed residence on discharge – 220 Ash St., Niagara Falls Ontario


Oct 27, 1922

British War Medal and Victory Medal sent to 121 St. Lawrence Ave., Niagara Falls Ontario


Dec 22, 1973



Return to Tribute list