Nathan "Tex" Livett
aka Nate Lenard

Oct 25, 1896

Born in Dublin, Ireland

Nathan Livett gave conflicting information at various times during his service.  On attesting into the 21st Battalion he stated he was born in Ireland, but on other occasions stated he was born in Glenboro, Manitoba.  On some forms his mother’s name is listed as Mary Livett living in Manitoba while on other forms, he listed his mother as Irene La Peduis living in Chicago, Illinois.  This was in addition to attesting a second time as Nate Lenard.  He also claimed to be a USA citizen


Nov 17, 1914

Attested into the 21st Battalion CEF in Kingston, Ontario


Ø  Number 59594 (temporary number 963)

Ø  Next of kin given as Lewis Livett, Wawanesa, Manitoba

Ø  Previous occupation given as Labourer

o   Later noted as Motor Mechanic

Ø  No previous military experience given

Ø  Religion given as Presbyterian

Ø  Posted to the Transport Section and employed as the Groom to the Commanding Officer’s horse

The battalion trained in the Kingston area through the winter with headquarters in the Kingston Armouries


Mar 31, 1915

The Transport Section, along with horses and wagons, proceeded to England as an advance party to arrange for the arrival of the full battalion.

The battalion arrived in Devonport, England May 15, 1915 and reunited with the Transport Section in the West Sandling Camp, near Hythe, Kent where the battalion continued training


Jun 19, 1915

Posted to the Depot Company from Transport Section


Sep 2, 1915

Posted to “C” Company


Sep 14, 1915

Embarked the St. Seiriol in Folkestone



Sep 15, 1915

Disembarked in Boulogne, France and the battalion proceeded to St. Omer


Nov 24, 1915

Proceeded to England and transferred to the Canadian Training Division as an American Citizen and a Minor


Nov 26, 1915

Transferred to the 39th Reserve Battalion in West Sandling


Jan 18, 1916

Discharged from the CEF at Folkestone, England

Ø  Rank on discharge Private

Ø  Entitled to War Service Badge Class “A”

Ø  No proposed residence was given

It was reported that he returned to the USA following his discharge


Aug 25, 1917

Attested into the 1st Reserve Battalion, 1st Central Ontario Regiment in Toronto, Ontario under the assumed name of Nate Lenard

Ø  Number 3030179

Ø  Next of kin given as Louis Livett, friend, 1315 South Fairfield Ave., Chicago, Illinois, USA

Ø  Previous occupation given as Labourer

o   Later noted as Motor Mechanic

Ø  Previous military experience given as 3 years in the RCHA

Ø  Religion given as Presbyterian

On attesting, he stated he had been born in Glenboro, Manitoba


Sep 26, 1917

Transferred to the PPCLI (Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry) Depot in Camp Borden, Ontario


Sep 28, 1917

A sworn statement was given at the PPCLI Depot in Camp Borden, swearing that when he attested, he gave a false name.  He now testifies that his true name is Nathan Livett, not Nate Lenard.


Sep 30, 1917

Regimental number changed to 59594


Oct 6, 1917

Embarked the SS Metagama in Halifax, Nova Scotia and part of the PPCLI’s 251st Special Draft



Oct 17, 1917

Disembarked in Liverpool, England and proceeded to Seaford where he was TOS (Taken On Strength) the 7th Reserve Battalion


Nov 29, 1917

Transferred to the 6th Reserve Battalion in Seaford


Dec 27, 1917

Transferred to the 21st Battalion


Dec 28, 1917

Arrived at the No. 2 CIBD (Canadian Infantry Base Depot) in Etaples, France as part of draft of 7 reinforcements from England and Taken On Strength the 21st Battalion


Jan 1, 1918

After leaving the base depot, he joined the CC Rein C (Canadian Corps Reinforcement Camp) in Calonne Ricouart, France


Jan 11, 1918

After leaving the reinforcement camp, Private Livett rejoined the 21st Battalion in Auchy au Bois, France


Mar 3, 1918

Attached to the 1st Canadian Tunnelling Company for duty


Mar 10, 1918

Rejoined the 21st Battalion from the tunnelling company


Jun 1, 1918

While in the front line near Neuville Vitasse, France, Private Livett received a shrapnel wound to his right leg that fractured his shin bone and he was evacuated to the 2/1 London British Field Ambulance for first aid before being transported to the No. 57 CCS (Casualty Clearing Station)


Jun 2, 1918

Transferred via the No. 36 AT (Ambulance Train) and admitted to the No. 3 General Hospital in Le Treport, France where surgery was performed to remove dead bone tissue.  The wound was noted as being dirty and infected


An X-Ray showing the extent of the fracture



Jun 8, 1918

Invalided to England aboard the Hospital Ship Essequibo


On arrival in England, he was admitted to the No. 15 Canadian General Hospital (Duchess of Connaught Canadian Red Cross Hospital) in Taplow

Transferred to the EORD (Eastern Ontario Regimental Depot) for pay purposes while in hospital


Jul 25, 1918

Transferred to the No. 5 Canadian General Hospital in Liverpool


Sep 24, 1918

Embarked the SS Tunisian in London and invalided to Canada



Oct 7, 1918

Disembarked in Montreal, Quebec and proceeded to Kingston, Ontario


Oct 10, 1918

Taken On Strength Military District No. 3 Depot and admitted to the Queen’s University Military Hospital in Kingston


Nov 22, 1918

Surgery performed to drain pus from the wound


Feb 14, 1919

Medical Board at the Queen’s University Military Hospital notes

Ø  Patient suffers from weakness in right leg due to fracture of the Tibia from a shrapnel wound suffered in France

Ø  There is nerve damage from the fracture causing numbness in the sole of his right foot

Ø  The leg wound is still discharging and requires daily bandage changing

Ø  Board recommends discharge from service, but requires continuing medical care for the open wound to his right leg


Feb 21, 1919

Discharged from hospital and from the CEF in Kingston

Ø  Rank on discharge Private

Ø  Entitled to War Service Badge Class “A”

Ø  Proposed residence on discharge 1315 South Fairfield Ave., Chicago, Illinois, USA

He was discharged to the care of the SCR (Soldier Civil Re-establishment) Department for continuing treatment

Following his discharge, the 1914-15 Star, British War Medal and Victory Medals were sent to him at 44 East Chicago Ave., Chicago, Illinois, USA


An interesting incident from the 21st Battalion Reunion in September 1932



Dec 31, 1959

Nathan Livett died suddenly in Chicago, Illinois of a ruptured aneurism


Return to Tribute list