William McDougall

Mar 17, 1882

Born in Saltcoats, Ayrshire, Scotland


Jan 22, 1915

Attested into the 21st Battalion CEF in Kingston, Ontario

Ø  Number 59710 (temporary number 1222)

Ø  Next of kin given as Mrs. Nettie McDougall, wife, 1316 Jerome St., Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA

o   The address was later changed to read 312 Barton St. W., Hamilton, Ontario

Ø  Previous occupation given as Steam Engineer

Ø  Previous military experience given as Cameron Highlanders for 8 years

Ø  Religion given as Presbyterian

Ø  Assigned to the Depot Company

o   Employed as a Piper in the Pipe Band

The battalion trained in the Kingston area through the winter with headquarters in the Kingston Armouries


Feb 3, 1915

Appointed to the rank of Acting Corporal in the Pipe Band


May 6, 1915

Embarked the RMS Metagama in Montreal, Quebec



May 15, 1915

Disembarked in Devonport, England and the battalion proceeded to the West Sandling Camp, near Hythe, Kent to continue training


Jun 13, 1915

Forfeited 1 days pay for being absent


Sep 14, 1915

Embarked the St. Seiriol in Folkestone



Sep 15, 1915

Disembarked in Boulogne, France and the battalion proceeded to St. Omer


Oct 5, 1915

Sentenced to 10 days Field Punishment #2 for being drunk on parade


Dec 5, 1915

Sentenced to 28 days Field Punishment #2 for being absent from November 26 to November 30 and forfeited 4 days pay


Jul 24, 1916

Admitted to the No. 6 CFA (Canadian Field Ambulance) to receive first aid for a shrapnel wound to his right thigh.  He was transferred the same day to the No. 17 CCS (Casualty Clearing Station) for treatment.

Later that night he was
transferred via the No. 18 AT (Ambulance Train) and admitted to the No. 3 Canadian General Hospital in Boulogne


Jul 27, 1916

Transferred to the No. 1 Convalescent Depot in Boulogne to continue the recovery of his wounds

While here William McDougall revealed that he had been buried by a shell explosion when the parapet caved in on him a few months earlier.  He did not seek any treatment at the time, but since has had hearing problems and feeling nervous


Jul 28, 1916

Discharged to base details for light duties


Jul 31, 1916

His medical classification was set at TB (Temporary Base) meaning he was temporarily not fit for front line duty.  He was then discharged to the CBD (Canadian Base Depot) in the Rouelles Camp, Havre and posted to “A” Company for those recovering from wounds and illness


Aug 8, 1916

Forfeited all pay and allowances for 21 days and required to pay for damages to government property, drunkenness and assaulting a Military Police officer


Aug 24, 1916

His medical classification changed to “C” meaning he was only fit for service in England


Invalided to England and posted to the CCAC (Canadian Casualty Assembly Centre)


Aug 31, 1916

Admitted to the Military Convalescent Hospital in Wood Cote Park, Epsom


Dec 10, 1916

Medical Board in Epsom notes that his leg wound has healed but he suffers from Neurasthenia.  He is nervous and weak. 


Dec 18, 1916

Discharged from hospital and reported to the CCAC in Hastings for duty


Dec 20, 1916

Attached to the CGDD (Canadian Garrison Duty Depot) for duty


Mar 10, 1917

Transferred to the EORD (Eastern Ontario Regimental Depot)


Apr 13, 1917

Attached to the convalescent depot in Seaford


Jan 24, 1918

Transferred back to the EORD


Jan 25, 1918

Reported to the EORD Depot Company at Seaford


Feb 18, 1918

Admitted to the Harfield Military Hospital in Bristol with a diagnosis that reads VDS (Venereal Disease Syphilis)


Mar 1, 1918

Discharged from hospital to be treated as an out-patient


Mar 2, 1918

Attached to the 6th Reserve Battalion in Seaford for duty


Mar 28, 1918

Ceased to be attached to the 6th Reserve Battalion and attached to the CDD (Canadian Discharge Depot) in Buxton pending return to Canada


Apr 24, 1918

Invalided to Canada aboard the SS Aquitania, embarking in Liverpool



Apr 30, 1918

Disembarked in Halifax, Nova Scotia and proceeded to Toronto, Ontario

On arrival in Toronto he was TOS No. 2 District Depot and placed in the Ravina Barracks


May 20, 1918

Attended the Ear, Nose and Throat clinic in the Toronto General Hospital.  Their report indicates that he is deaf in his left ear as a result of a shell explosion in France


May 22, 1918

A neurological report notes the following

Ø  Concentration poor

Ø  Easily excited and startled by unexpected noise

Ø  When excited he sweats freely

Ø  Only able to sleep 4-5 hours per night and is bothered by nightmares

Ø  Feels weak and becomes short of breath on slight exercise

Ø  Has tremors in hands

Ø  Suffers from headaches and back pain

The doctor’s note at the end states that he should do well if discharged.


Jun 7, 1918

Discharged from the CEF in Toronto, Ontario

Ø  Rank on discharge Private

Ø  War Service Badge Class “A” issued

Ø  Proposed residence on discharge 312 Barton St. W., Hamilton, Ontario

Following his discharge the 1914-15 Star, British War Medal and Victory Medals were sent to him at 312 Barton St. W., Hamilton


Jul 10, 1953

William McDougall died on this date and was buried in the Pine Hills Cemetery, Scarborough, Ontario


Note the spelling of his surname

Return to Tribute list