James Patrick McGuire

Thank you to Bruce Kettles for providing the service file


May 23, 1895

Born to James Patrick and Charlotte Josephine (nee Fuller) McGuire in Galway Township, Ontario.


Nov 5, 1914

Attested into the 21st Battalion in Kingston, Ontario 

Ø      Number 59723 (temporary number 670)

Ø      Next of kin given as James McGuire, father, Kinmount, Ontario

o       There is a note in the file to also notify Mrs. Lottie Morehouse, mother, 1275 Main St. East, Rochester, New York, USA

Ø      Previous occupation given as labourer

Ø      Previous military experience given as 1 year in the 45th Regiment, Canadian Militia

Ø      Religion given as Roman Catholic

Ø      Assigned to “F” Company

o       This was later reorganized into “C” Company

On attestation he lied about his age, stating that he was born in 1894, making him appear to be 19 years of age.


May 6, 1915

Embarked the RMS Metagama in Montreal, Quebec

May 15, 1915

Disembarked in Devonport, England and proceeded to the West Sandling Camp, near Hythe, Kent.


Jun 23, 1915

Assigned for duty with the Military Police.

There is no record of when he returned to regular duty with “C” Company, but in all likelihood it was prior to embarking for France.


Sep 14, 1915

Embarked the St. Seiriol in Folkestone


Sep 15, 1915

Disembarked in Boulogne, France and proceeded to St. Omer.


Feb 2, 1916

Sentenced to 28 days Field Punishment No. 1 for neglect of duty at 3.00 am.


Sep 15, 1916

During the battalion’s advance on a German strong point in a sugar refinery at Courcelette, Private McGuire received a shrapnel wound to his right shoulder and after receiving first aid at the RAP (Regimental Aid Post) he was admitted to the No. 49 CCS (Casualty Clearing Station) for further treatment.  Later in the day he was transferred to hospital via the No. 17 AT (Ambulance Train).


Sep 16, 1916

Admitted to the No. 10 Canadian General hospital in Rouen, where surgery was performed to remove shrapnel from his shoulder.


Sep 23, 1916

Invalided to England aboard the Hospital Ship Lanfranc

Posted to the CCAC (Canadian Casualty Assembly Centre) while in hospital.


Sep 25, 1916

Admitted to the No. 3 Scottish General Hospital, Stobhill, Glasgow, Scotland.


Nov 28, 1916

Transferred to the Canadian Convalescent Hospital, Woodcote Park, Epsom, England.


Dec 19, 1916

Discharged from the convalescent hospital and reported to the CCAC at Hastings and was attached to the 3rd CCD (Canadian Convalescent Depot) for duty and employed in the 2nd Eastern General Hospital, Brighton.


Feb 2, 1917

Admitted to the 2nd Eastern General Hospital as a patient diagnosed with Syphilis and placed on the Syphilis Register.


Mar 10, 1917

Transferred to the EORD (Eastern Ontario Regimental Depot) for pay purposes while in hospital.


Apr 3, 1917

Discharged from hospital and returned to the 3rd CCD.


Aug 23, 1917

Posted to the 6th Reserve Battalion, Seaford.


Nov 23, 1917

Posted to the 21st Battalion.


Nov 24, 1917

Arrived at the No. 2 CIBD (Canadian Infantry Base Depot), Etaples as part of a draft of 25 reinforcements and TOS (Taken On Strength) the 21st Battalion.


Nov 28, 1917

Left the CIBD and joined the CC Rein C (Canadian Corps Reinforcement Camp), Calonne Ricouart.


Dec 11, 1917

Left the CC Rein C and joined the 21st Battalion in the Cellars Camp, Neuville St. Vaast as part of the 4th Brigade Reserve.


Feb 16, 1918

Received an accidental shrapnel wound to hands and legs from the explosion of previously unexploded ordnance while cutting wood for the trenches as part of a work party.

He was first admitted to the No. 6 CFA (Canadian Field Ambulance) but was transferred the same day to the No. 30 CCS.


Feb 17, 1918

Transferred to the No. 58 CCS.


Feb 18, 1918

While in hospital, he was placed under arrest pending a Court Martial proceeding and charged with negligence in handling an unexploded nose cap that caused his injuries, and injuring 2 of his comrades.


Mar 8, 1918

A Court Martial took place and he was charged with “Conduct to the prejudice of good order and military discipline by negligently handling an explosive, wounding himself and two comrades”.

He pled not guilty.  After testimony was heard by 2 witnesses who stated that he had been warned to be careful while handling an unexploded nose cap from an artillery shell while on a wood cutting party.

Private McGuire testified that after he had been warned about it, he threw it away and turned his back to walk away.  When it hit the ground it exploded, causing the injuries to himself and others.

He was found guilty and sentenced to 42 days Field Punishment No. 1 after the court heard a recommendation for mercy on account of good service.


Mar 15, 1918

Transferred via the No. 5 AT and admitted to the No. 8 Stationary Hospital, Wimereux.


Apr 21, 1918

Discharged to the St. Martin Camp near Boulogne.


Apr 24, 1918

Arrived at the No. 2 CIBD and posted to “A” Company for those recovering from wounds and illness.


Apr 28, 1918

Left the CIBD and joined the CC Rein C, Calonne Ricouart


May 12, 1918

Rejoined the 21st Battalion in the front lines near Neuville Vitasse.


Aug 26, 1918

During the battalion’s advance on the Sensee River near Monchy le Pruex, Private McGuire was killed in action.

Windmill British Cemetery
Monchy Le Preux, France

Following the war the 1914-15 Star, British War Medal, Victory Medal, Plaque (Dead Man’s Penny), and Scroll were sent to his father, James Patrick McGuire, c/o House of Providence, Peterborough, Ontario. 

The Memorial Cross was sent to his mother, Mrs. L. Morehouse, 101½ Hickory St., Rochester, New York, USA.


Return to Tribute list