Thomas McMacken

Thank you to Bruce Kettles for providing the service file


Feb 21, 1893

Born in Ireland


Nov 14, 1914

Attested into the 21st Battalion in Kingston, Ontario

Ø      Number 59734 (temporary number 250)

Ø      Next of kin given as John McMacken, Prescott, Ontario

o       There is also a note in the file to notify his sister, Francis McMacken, Rodney, Ontario as well as William Sloan, Iroquois, Ontario

Ø      Previous occupation given as Farmer

Ø      No previous military experience given

Ø      Religion given as Presbyterian

Ø      Assigned to “B” Company

o       This was later reorganized into “A” Company

The battalion carried out training in Kingston


Feb 12, 1915

Admitted to the Kingston hospital diagnosed with influenza


Feb 20, 1915

Discharged to duty from hospital


May 6, 1915

Embarked the RMS Metagama in Montreal, Quebec

May 15, 1915

Disembarked in Devonport, England and the battalion proceeded to the West Sandling Camp near Hythe, Kent, to continue training


Sep 14, 1915

Embarked the St. Seiriol in Folkestone


Sep 15, 1915

Disembarked in Boulogne, France and the battalion proceeded to St. Omer


Nov 7, 1915

Admitted to the No. 5 CFA (Canadian Field Ambulance) with a diagnosis that reads Enteritis, an inflammation of the intestines


Nov 11, 1915

Discharged to duty from the field ambulance


Sep 1, 1916

Sentenced to 14 days Field Punishment #1 for being drunk and absent from Inspection Parade.


Sep 15, 1916

During the battalion’s advance on a German strong point in a sugar refinery at Courcelette, Private McMacken received a shrapnel wound to his left arm and was removed to the field ambulance for first aid.  From there he was transferred to a CCS (Casualty Clearing Station) for further treatment.


Sep 16, 1916

Transferred to the No. 9 Canadian General Hospital, Rouen


Sep 18, 1916

Invalided to England aboard the Hospital Ship Asturias

On arrival in England he was admitted to the No. 2 Southern General Hospital, Bristol

Posted to the CCAC (Canadian Casualty Assembly Centre) while in hospital


Sep 29, 1916

Surgery was performed to remove the shrapnel ball from his arm.


Oct 4, 1916

Transferred to the Canadian Convalescent Hospital, Bearwood Park, Wokingham


Jan 26, 1917

Transferred to the Monks Horton Canadian Convalescent Hospital


Feb 1, 1917

Transferred to the Canadian Military Hospital, Etchinghill, Lyminge and the diagnosis is changed to read VDS (Venereal Disease Syphilis)


Mar 10, 1917

Posted to the EORD (Eastern Ontario Regimental Depot) for pay purposes while in hospital care


May 22, 1917

Discharged to duty from hospital.  His pay was reduced by 60 cents per day for the 111 days he was in hospital being treated for contracting Syphilis.


May 27, 1917

Posted to the CAMC (Canadian Army Medical Corps) and assigned to the Canadian Military Hospital in Etchinghill for duty


Jan 22, 1918

Reassigned to the CAMC Depot in Shorncliffe


Feb 28, 1918

Posted to the Monks Horton Canadian Convalescent Hospital for duty


May 31, 1918

Reassigned to the CAMC Depot but remained attached to the Monks Horton Hospital


Jun 25, 1918

Reported to be AWL (Absent Without Leave) at 10 PM


Jun 26, 1918

Reported for duty from being AWL at 11.30 PM.  As punishment he forfeited 8 days pay and his pay was reduced by 50 cents per day for 2 months


Jul 10, 1918

Returned to the CAMC Depot in Shorncliffe for duty


Sep 6, 1918

Granted permission to marry.  On October 24, 1918, he changed his will to in order to leave his estate to his wife, Mildred.


Oct 29, 1918

Posted to the CAMC in France


Oct 30, 1918

Disembarked in Havre, France and proceeded to the CGBD (Canadian Garrison Base Depot)


Nov 24, 1918

Admitted to the #7 Canadian General Hospital, Etaples, with a diagnosis that reads PUO (Pyrexia of Unknown Origin) which is a fever without a known cause


Dec 3, 1918

Private McMacken died of Broncho Pneumonia in the #7 Canadian General Hospital, Etaples, and was buried in the Etaples Military Cemetery


Following the war the 1914-15 Star, British War Medal, Plaque (Dead Man’s Penny), Scroll and Memorial Cross were sent to his widow, Mrs. Mildred K. Harris (she had remarried), 69 Ashley Ave., Cheriton, England





The medals and plaque were returned and reshipped on more than one occasion.  It is unclear if this was a result of his widow moving several times after the war ended, or if there were mistakes in the naming of the medals.


Return to Tribute list