Richard Mitchell

Sep 12, 1889

Born in West Norwood, Surrey, England


Nov 4, 1914

Attested into the 21st Battalion in Kingston, Ontario


Ø  Number 59665 (temporary number 552)

Ø  Next of kin given as Francis Mitchell, father, 45a St. Louis St., West Norwood, Surrey, England

Ø  Previous occupation given as Machinist

Ø  No previous military experience given

Ø  Religion given as Church of England

Ø  Posted to “E” Company

o   This was later reorganized into “C” Company

The 21st Battalion trained in the Kingston, Ontario area through the winter of 1914-15.


Apr 17, 1915

Sentenced to 28 days detention for an unrecorded offence


May 3, 1915

The unexpired portion of the sentence was remitted in order to proceed to England

Posted to the Depot Company


May 6, 1915

Embarked the RMS Metagama in Montreal, Quebec



May 15, 1915

Disembarked in Devonport, England and the battalion proceeded to the West Sandling Camp, near Hythe, Kent to continue training


Jul 2, 1915

Forfeited 3 day’s pay for being absent


Aug 17, 1915

Sentenced to 7 days detention and forfeited 3 day’s pay for being absent


Sep 2, 1915

Posted to the “C” Company


Sep 14, 1915

Embarked the St. Seiriol in Folkestone



Sep 15, 1915

Disembarked in Boulogne, France and the battalion proceeded to St. Omer


Oct 9, 1915

Admitted to the No. 6 CFA (Canadian Field Ambulance0 with a diagnosis that reads Influenza


Oct 15, 1915

Discharged to duty from the field ambulance


Jun 29, 1916

Attended the Sniping Course (open sighted rifle) at Mont des Cats, France


Jan 27, 1917

Attached to the 250th Tunnelling Company for duty


Feb 20, 1917

Admitted to the 139th Field Ambulance with a diagnosis that reads Trench Fever


Feb 21, 1917

Transferred to the No. 10 CCS (Casualty Clearing Station)


Feb 23, 1917

Transferred via the No. 28 AT (Ambulance Train) and admitted to the No. 3 Canadian General Hospital in Boulogne and Enteric Fever was added to the diagnosis


Mar 16, 1917

Invalided to England aboard the Hospital Ship Cambria


On arrival in England, he was admitted to the Wharncliffe War Hospital, Middlesex Road, Sheffield

Transferred to the EORD (Eastern Ontario Regimental Depot) for pay purposes while in hospital


May 2, 1917

Transferred to the King’s Canadian Red Cross Hospital in Bushy Park


May 9, 1917

Transferred to the Canadian Convalescent Hospital in Bearwood Park, Wokingham


Jun 16, 1917

Attached to the 3rd CCD (Canadian Command Depot) for physical training


Jul 30, 1917

Discharged from hospital care and transferred to the 6th Reserve Battalion in Seaford


Sep 15, 1917

Admitted to the Canadian Military Hospital in Eastbourne with a diagnosis that reads Bronchitis

On admission he was pale, thin and “looks rather under par”.


Sep 26, 1917

Discharged to duty from hospital


Dec 20, 1917

Transferred to the 21st Battalion


Dec 22, 1917

Arrived at the No. 2 CIBD (Canadian Infantry Base Depot) in Etaples, France and TOS (Taken On Strength) the 21st Battalion


Dec 26, 1917

After leaving the base depot, he joined the CCRC (Canadian Corps Reinforcement Camp) in Calonne Ricouart, France


Mar 1, 1918

After leaving the reinforcement camp, Private Mitchell rejoined the 21st Battalion resting in Lievin, France


Apr 22, 1918

Joined the No. 2 Canadian Infantry Base Depot


Apr 26, 1918

Rejoined the 21st Battalion in the front lines north west of Neuville Vitasse, France


Jun 20, 1918

Overnight June 19/20, the 21st Battalion carried out a trench raid on the enemy front line south east of Mercatel, France.  Private Mitchell was wounded in his left leg by shrapnel that caused a compound fracture of his tibia bone just above the ankle.  He was evacuated to the No. 4 Canadian Field Ambulance for first aid before being transported to the casualty clearing station.  From here he was transported to the No. 3 Canadian Stationary Hospital in Doullens, France where surgery was performed to clean wound, set the fractured bone and apply a splint


Jun 21, 1918

Transferred to the No. 9 USA General Hospital in Rouen, France


Jul 6, 1918

Splint removed and bone union described as “good”.


Jul 23, 1918

Invalided to England aboard the Hospital Ship Guildford Castle


On arrival in England, he was admitted to the No. 4 Canadian General Hospital in Basingstoke

Transferred to the Eastern Ontario Regimental Depot for pay purposes while in hospital


Nov 13, 1918

Transferred to the Granville Canadian Special Hospital in Buxton


Nov 29, 1918

Granted sick leave until December 9, 1918


Dec 23, 1918

Transferred to the No. 5 Canadian General Hospital in Kirkdale, Liverpool


Jan 13, 1919

Invalided to Canada aboard the Hospital Ship Essequibo embarking in Liverpool



Jan 25, 1919

Disembarked in Halifax, Nova Scotia and proceeded to Kingston, Ontario


Jan 28, 1919

Admitted to the Queen’s Military Hospital in Kingston

On admission the left ankle was very stiff with a discharging sore about 1 inch in length. 


Jun 17, 1919

Medical Board in Kingston notes

Ø  Suffers from limited movement of left ankle and toes from a shrapnel wound that fractured the Tibia just above the ankle

Ø  Ankle movement is about 50% of normal

Ø  X-Ray shows many tiny fragments of shrapnel in the lower part of left leg

Ø  Condition is considered permanent and recommended he be discharged from service with a pensionable disability


Jun 20, 1919

Discharged to duty from hospital and posted to the Military District No. 3 Casualty Company in Kingston


Jul 5, 1919

Discharged from the CEF in Kingston, Ontario

Ø  Rank on discharge Private

Ø  War Service Badge Class “A” issued number 213141

Ø  War Service Badge Class “B” issued number C55805

Ø  Proposed residence on discharge 45a St. Louis Rd., West Norwood, Surrey, England

Following his discharge, the 1914-15 Star, British War Medal and Victory Medals were sent to him at 45a St. Louis Rd., West Norwood, Surrey, England


Aug 19, 1950

Richard Mitchell died of Cardiac Failure while a patient of the Dulwich, England Hospital.


Richard Mitchell is remembered on the Peterborough, Ontario Wall of Honour
as he was living there when he volunteered for active service



Return to Tribute list