Matthew Martin Moran

Sep 28, 1889

Born in Ottawa, Ontario to James and Bridget Moran. 


Jan 17, 1890

His father James died in Ottawa, Ontario


Nov 14, 1894

His mother Bridget remarried to Moses Nolan in Ottawa, Ontario


Sep 2, 1910

His mother Bridget died in Ottawa

Matthew was taken in by his aunt Bridget (same given name as his mother) and uncle Martin Moran,

Some entries in his file indicate that he was adopted, while other entries simply say “foster parents”, and some refer to them as just “aunt and uncle”.  Their exact status is unclear, but given his age at the time of his mother’s death, I suspect that he was not adopted.


May 20, 1916

Attested into the 207th Battalion CEF in Ottawa, Ontario

Ø  Number 246321

Ø  Next of kin given as Mrs. Moran, aunt, 363 Echo Dr., Ottawa, Ontario

Ø  Previous occupation given as Painter

Ø  No previous military experience given

Ø  Religion given as Roman Catholic

The battalion trained in the Rockcliffe Camp


Jul 28, 1916

Forfeited 13 days pay for being AWL (Absent Without Leave)


Jan 18, 1917

The battalion left Ottawa and proceeded to Amherst, Nova Scotia to continue training


Jun 2, 1917

Embarked the SS Olympic in Halifax, Nova Scotia



Jun 9, 1917

Disembarked in Liverpool, England and proceeded to Seaford where the battalion was absorbed into the 7th Reserve Battalion to continue training


Sep 12, 1917

Transferred to the 21st Battalion


Sep 13, 1917

Arrived at the No. 2 CIBD (Canadian Infantry Base Depot) in Etaples, France as part of a draft of 42 reinforcements from England and TOS (Taken On Strength) the 21st Battalion


Sep 27, 1917

After leaving the base depot he joined the CC Rein C (Canadian Corps Reinforcement Camp) in Villers au Bois


Oct 14, 1917

After leaving the reinforcement camp, Private Moran joined the 21st Battalion conveniently in billets in Villers au Bois


Feb 3, 1918

Admitted to the No. 4 CFA (Canadian Field Ambulance) with a diagnosis that reads Urticaria (hives).  He was transferred the same day to the rest station at the No. 6 CFA


Feb 7, 1918

Transferred to the No. 1 CCS (Casualty Clearing Station)


Feb 8, 1918

Discharged from the casualty clearing station and rejoined the 21st Battalion


Mar 9, 1918

Readmitted to the No. 1 CCS with hives and transferred the same day via the No. 16 AT (Ambulance Train) and admitted to the No. 26 General Hospital in Etaples for treatment


Mar 12, 1918

Transferred to the No. 25 General Hospital in Hardelot and the diagnosis is changed to read Acne Valgaris, a skin infection


Mar 19, 1918

Discharged to the base depot in Etaples and posted to “A” Company for those recovering from wounds and illness


Apr 1, 1918

After leaving the base depot he joined the reinforcement camp in Calonne Ricouart


Apr 17, 1918

After leaving the reinforcement camp he rejoined the 21st Battalion in the front lines east of Blairville, France


Apr 29, 1918

While in his funk hole in the front line he received a shrapnel wound to his head and died while being carried to the aid post.  He was buried the same day in the Bellacourt Military Cemetery,



Following the war the British War Medal, Victory Medal, Plaque (Dead Man’s Penny) and Scroll were sent to his uncle, Martin Moran, 363 Echo Drive, Ottawa, Ontario

There was no entitlement for a Memorial Cross

Return to Tribute list