John Stanley Morrison

Oct 12, 1888

Born in Millbrook, Ontario to Thomas and Elizabeth (nee Coaling) Morrison


Nov 6, 1914

Attested into the 21st Battalion in Kingston, Ontario


Ø  Number 59677 (temporary number 781)

Ø  Next of kin given as Mrs. Thomas Morrison, Margaret St., Port Hope, Ontario

Ø  Previous occupation given as Core Maker

Ø  No previous military experience given

Ø  Religion given as Wesleyan

Ø  Posted to “G” Company

o   This was later reorganized into “D” Company

The 21st Battalion trained in the Kingston, Ontario area through the winter of 1914-15.


May 6, 1915

Embarked the RMS Metagama in Montreal, Quebec



May 15, 1915

Disembarked in Devonport, England and the battalion proceeded to the West Sandling Camp, near Hythe, Kent to continue training


Aug 30, 1915

Forfeited 1 day’s pay for being absent


Sep 14, 1915

Embarked the St. Seiriol in Folkestone



Sep 15, 1915

Disembarked in Boulogne, France and the battalion proceeded to St. Omer


Nov 9, 1915

Sentenced to 14 days Field Punishment No. 2 and 16 hours of extra fatigue duty for being absent from 1 pm to 6 pm.  He been told to be ready to proceed to the front line trench when he went absent


Apr 8, 1916

During the night of the April 8/9 at the St. Eloi Craters in Belgium, Private Morrison received wounds from the explosion of an enemy hand grenade to his left leg and foot.  The battalion reported a total of 36 casualties, killed and wounded, during the night.  He was evacuated to a field ambulance for first aid before being transported to a casualty clearing station


Apr 10, 1916

Transferred to the No. 23 General Hospital in Etaples, France where surgery was performed to remove shrapnel pieces.


Apr 22, 1916

Invalided to England aboard the Hospital Ship Newhaven


On arrival in England, he was admitted to Wharncliffe War Hospital in Sheffield

Transferred to the CCAC (Canadian Casualty Assembly Centre) for pay purposes while in hospital


Jul 6, 1916

Transferred to the King’s Canadian Red Cross Hospital in Bushy Park


Jul 16, 1916

Transferred to the Canadian Convalescent Hospital in Woodcote Park, Epsom


Aug 12, 1916

Transferred to the 1st CCD (Canadian Command Depot) and admitted to the Monks Horton hospital


Aug 13, 1916

Attached to the 3rd CCD (Canadian Command Depot) for PT (Physical Training)


Sep 22, 1916

Discharged from hospital and transferred to the 39th Reserve Battalion in West Sandling


Oct 15, 1916

Admitted to the Moore Barracks Hospital in Shorncliffe with a diagnosis that reads Periostitis in the left Tibia from his previous shrapnel wounds


Oct 17, 1916

X-Ray report shows multiple pieces of shrapnel in his left leg and foot


Oct 23, 1916

Surgery performed to remove more shrapnel from his left leg and foot


Nov 8, 1916

Transferred to the Shorncliffe Military Hospital


Dec 7, 1916

Discharged from hospital care and transferred to the 64th Battalion in Shoreham


Mar 21, 1917

Transferred to the EORD (Eastern Ontario Regimental Depot)


Jul 25, 1917

Attached to the CPS (Canadian Pioneer School) in Seaford for light duty


Apr 8, 1918

Ceased to be attached and returned to the Eastern Ontario Regimental Depot

Attached to the Reserve Cyclist Company in Seaford for duty as a waiter in the Mess


May 8, 1918

Ceased to be attached to the Reserve Cyclist Company when he complained that he was unable to carry on


May 21, 1918

Admitted to the No. 14 Canadian General Hospital in Eastbourne with complications from his previous shrapnel wounds


May 23, 1918

X-Ray report shows 6 pieces of shrapnel in his left leg


May 29, 1918

Surgery was performed to remove pieces of shrapnel


Jun 14, 1918

Transferred to the Princess Patricia Canadian Red Cross Hospital in the Cooden Camp, Bexhill

In addition to treatment from his old wounds, Typical Cardiac Neurasthenia was added to the diagnosis


Aug 19, 1918

Transferred to the King’s Canadian Red Cross Hospital in Bushy Park and the diagnosis was changed to read DAH (Disordered Activity of the Heart)

On admission tremors were noticed in his hands and he complained of vertigo and weakness in his left foot.


Oct 9, 1918

Discharged from hospital and attached to the 3rd Canadian Command Depot


Dec 7, 1918

Attached to the 1st Canadian Command Depot


Dec 12, 1918

Upon returning to his barracks in the evening, he was accidentally stabbed in the arm by a sentry and received first aid in the barracks


Dec 13, 1918

Admitted to the No. 12 Canadian Convalescent Hospital in Epsom for treatment for his bayonet wound


Dec 24, 1918

Transferred to the Canadian Military Convalescent Hospital in Epsom.  An irregular heart beat is noted along with his bayonet wound that was almost healed


Jan 13, 1919

Rejoined the 1st Canadian Command Depot from the convalescent hospital


Jan 21, 1919

Attached to the 6th Reserve Battalion in Seaford


Mar 3, 1919

Ceased to be attached and transferred permanently to the 6th Reserve Battalion in Seaford


Apr 8, 1919

Medical Board in Seaford notes

Ø  Patient suffers from Disordered Activity of the Heart and the effects of shrapnel wounds to left leg and foot

Ø  Man is weak and suffers from dizzy spells

Ø  Left leg and foot are weak

Ø  Board recommends 6 months rest and that he be returned to Canada for discharge


Apr 12, 1919

Transferred to “D” Wing in Kinmel Park pending return to Canada


May 7, 1919

Embarked the SS Celtic in Liverpool



May 15, 1919

Disembarked in Halifax, Nova Scotia and proceeded to Kingston, Ontario


May 17, 1919

Discharged from the CEF in Kingston, Ontario

Ø  Rank on discharge Private

Ø  War Service Badge Class “A” issued number 279493

Ø  Proposed residence on discharge Port Hope, Ontario

Following his discharge, the 1914-15 Star, British War Medal and Victory Medals were sent to him at Port Hope, Ontario


Aug 5, 1978

Veterans Affairs Canada received a notification from the family solicitor that John Stanley Morrison had died with no other information included.


Return to Tribute list