William James "Bill" Neal

Sep 23, 1897

Born in Vellore, Vaughan Township, Ontario to James and Louisa Maria (nee Agar) Neal


Nov 16, 1916

Attested into the 2nd Canadian Army Service Corps Training Depot in Toronto, Ontario

Ø  Number 513220

Ø  Next of kin given as Maria Neal, mother, Elders Mills, Ontario

Ø  Previous occupation given as Farmer

o   Later noted as Student

Ø  No previous military experience given

Ø  Religion given as Presbyterian

Ø  Posted to the 10th Regimental Draft


Dec 12, 1916

The 10th Regimental Draft of the training depot left Toronto to proceed to Halifax, Nova Scotia


Dec 20, 1916

Embarked the SS Olympic in Halifax, Nova Scotia



Dec 28, 1916

Disembarked in Liverpool, England and proceeded to Shorncliffe where he was TOS (Taken On Strength) the CASC-TD (Canadian Army Service Corps Training Depot) to continue his training


May 8, 1917

Transferred to the 7th Reserve Battalion in Seaford


Sep 12, 1917

Transferred to the 21st Battalion


Sep 13, 1917

Arrived at the No. 2 CIBD (Canadian Infantry Base Depot) in Etaples, France as part of a draft of 42 reinforcements from England and Taken On Strength the 21st Battalion


Sep 27, 1917

After leaving the base depot, Private Neal joined the CC Rein C (Canadian Corps Reinforcement Camp) in Villers au Bois, France


Oct 9, 1917

After leaving the reinforcement camp, Private Neal finally joined the 21st Battalion in the front line trench north east of the town of Vimy, France and was posted to the Machine Gun Section


Nov 28, 1917

While the 21st Battalion was in the support trenches east of Vimy Ridge, work parties were supplied to improve the trench system.  While out on one of those work parties, the group came under an enemy artillery barrage.  Private Neal received shrapnel wounds to his back, left leg and left hand.  He was evacuated to the No. 4 CFA (Canadian Field Ambulance) for first aid before being transported to the No. 42 CCS (Casualty Clearing Station) for treatment


Nov 30, 1917

Transferred via the No. 9 AT (Ambulance Train) and admitted to the No. 26 General Hospital in Etaples for treatment


Toronto Star, December 10, 1917

Dec 11, 1917

Invalided to England aboard the Hospital Ship Ville de Liege


On arrival in England he was admitted to the Cyngfield VAD (Volunteer Aid Detachment) Hospital in Kingsland, Shrewsbury where surgery was performed to repair damage

Transferred to the EORD (Eastern Ontario Regimental Depot) for pay purposes while in hospital


Mar 27, 1918

Transferred to the Canadian Convalescent Hospital in Woodcote Park, Epsom

X-rays show shrapnel in hand preventing movement of thumb and fingers


Apr 10, 1918

Transferred to the Manor War Hospital in Epsom


Apr 11, 1918

Surgery performed to remove shrapnel


May 4, 1918

Transferred to the Canadian Convalescent Hospital in Epsom


Jul 17, 1918

Attached to the 3rd CCD (Canadian Convalescent Depot) to continue his recovery


Sep 26, 1918

Discharged from hospital care and transferred to the 6th Reserve Battalion in Seaford


Dec 13, 1918

Transferred to MD #2 in Kinmel Park pending return to Canada


Jan 11, 1919

Embarked the SS Olympic in Southampton



Jan 17, 1919

Disembarked in Halifax, Nova Scotia and proceeded to Toronto, Ontario


Jan 21, 1919

Granted leave with subsistence until February 6, 1919


Feb 6, 1919

Medical Board at Exhibition Park, Toronto notes

Ø  Patient suffered from shrapnel wounds in France

Ø  Suffers from back pain when lifting

Ø  Pain is worse in damp weather

Ø  Wounds in hand and leg are healed

Ø  Expect that the back pain will subside after 3 months

Ø  Medical Category set at BII, meaning he is only fit for base duties, not for combat


Feb 11, 1919

Discharged from the CEF in Toronto, Ontario

Ø  Rank on discharge Private

Ø  War Service Badge Class “A” issued

Ø  Proposed residence on discharge Elders Mills, Ontario

Following his discharge, the British War Medal and Victory Medals were sent to him at RR #1, Nashville, Ontario


Jun 30, 1926

Married to Annie Catherine McCallum in Elders Mills, Ontario.

Bill Neal went to western Canada to work on a farm before returning to Ontario where he owned and operated a car dealership for many years in Aurora, Ontario



Jun 16, 1979

William James Neal passed away June 16, 1979


Return to Tribute list