Alfred Temple

May 26, 1880

Born in Cohoes NY to George and Eliza (nee Sauvé) Temple


Jun 19, 1905

Married to Victoria Brisbois in Ottawa, Ontario


Nov 13, 1914

Attested into the 3rd Division Cyclist Platoon in Kingston Ontario

Ø  Number 1289031 (It is noted that this number is for records purposes only.)

Ø  Next of kin given as Mrs Alfred Temple (Wife) of 150 Elm St., Ottawa, Ontario

Ø  Occupation given as Salesman

Ø  Religion given as Presbyterian

Ø  No previous military experience given

It is of interest that L/Col W.S.P. Hughes signed this attestation paper as the certifying magistrate


Nov 28, 1914

Discharged from the Cyclist Platoon as Medically Unfit for further service


Jan 5, 1915

Attested into the 21st Battalion at Kingston Ontario

Ø  Number 59964 (temporary number 1142)

Ø  Next of kin given as Mrs. Victoria Temple, wife, 150 Elm St., Ottawa, Ontario

o   This was later changed to 887 Somerset St., Ottawa, then to163 Hinton Ave., Ottawa

Ø  Birth date given as July, 1880

Ø  Occupation given as Salesman

Ø  No previous military experience given

Ø  Religion given as Presbyterian

Ø  Assigned to the Depot Company and employed in the Transport Section


Feb 5, 1915

Appointed to the rank of Lance Corporal


Feb 16, 1915

Reverts to rank of Pte


Apr 1, 1915

Proceeded to England with the Transport Section.  The note that he embarked the SS Metagama in Montreal May 6, 1915 is in error.


Sep 14, 1915

Embarked the St. Seiriol in Folkestone and disembarked in Boulogne, France



Apr 8, 1916

During the fighting at the St. Eloi Craters, Private Temple was first reported to be wounded and missing, then reported as “wounded and believed to be taken prisoner”.  It was later discovered that both arms and a leg had been fractured and he was found by the enemy in a semi-conscious state




May 23, 1916

Now reported POW at Reserve Lazarette 5 Hanover prisoner of war camp, wounded right shoulder and hands with fractured arms


Nov 24, 1916

Now reported being held at Coy 5, Hameln


Dec 17, 1916

Transferred to Hotel Jungfian Murren Switzerland POW camp


May 21, 1917

German Medical Report

Ø  States he was taken prisoner Apr 7, 1916

Ø  He was wounded in both forearms by a hand grenade and spent 6 months in hospital

o   Jan 4, 1917 – scars were noted on both forearms, with partial paralysis were noted, mechanical and massage therapy were ordered

o   Apr 4, 1917 – sent to hospital in Lucerne for surgery to correct paralysis, electrical, mechanical, and massage therapy were ordered

o   Jun 17, 1917 – he still cannot close the left fist and the therapy was continued

o   Jun 26, 1917 – abscesses removed from left forearm

o   Nov 15, 1917 – weakness is still present in left arm and hand, therapy to continue

o   May 15, 1918 – partial paralysis continues in both hands due to nerve damage, hearing is reduced and “patient looks very depressed” and is recommended for repatriation

Bottom of the report is stamped “Le Commandant de la Region Anglaise Murren” followed by an illegible signature.


Jun 11, 1918

German POW report while in detention in Switzerland

Ø  Declared eligible for repatriation on May 21, 1918

Ø  Suffering from depression

Ø  Partial paralysis of left hand

Ø  Disinterred June 11, 1918 and returned to British Forces


Jun 15, 1918

Admitted to King George Hospital, Stamford St. London, as a repatriated POW and posted to EORD (Eastern Ontario Regimental Depot) for pay purposes while in hospital


Jun 23, 1918

Transferred to No 16 Canadian General Hospital, Orpington


Jun 24, 1918

Ear specialist report

Right ear normal

Left ear – deaf with Tinnitus

- Ear drum perforated with no discharge


Medical Board Report

Ø  Unable to flex the ring and little finger of left hand

Ø  Unable to extend middle finger of right hand

Ø  Deaf in left ear and has Tinnitus

Ø  States he was injured by hand grenades and taken prisoner the same day

Ø  Was deaf in both ears for a month but right ear gradually improved

Ø  He was in a German Hospital for 6 months in Hanover and then a Hanover POW camp for 2 months before being sent to Switzerland in Dec 1916

Ø  Had surgery on both arms while in German hospital

Ø  Three teeth also removed while in German hospital

Ø  Recommended further surgery to repair nerve endings in forearms and removal of remaining metal shrapnel


Sep 24, 1918

Embarked the SS Khyber in London



Oct 7, 1918

Disembarked at Quebec City and proceeded to Montreal


Oct 8, 1918

TOS District Depot No 4 at Montreal and posted to the Hospital Section.

Granted Sick Leave with substance until October 22, 1918.

Address while on leave “Khaki Club, Dorchester St. West, Montreal


Oct 22, 1918

Leave extended until Nov 5, 1918 with subsistence


Nov 14, 1918

Transferred to the Depot Company

Medical Board in Montreal notes there is limited movement in both hands from his 1916 wounds.  Also notes loss of hearing from the shock of an explosion.

All symptoms are a result of his service at the front and deemed to be permanent

The board recommends discharge from service as Medically Unfit


Nov 22, 1918

Is Absent Without Leave from 8.45 am


Nov 23, 1918

Returns from being AWL (Absent Without Leave) at 8.45 am and forfeits 2 days pay and allowances


Nov 27, 1918

SOS on transfer to Discharge Section


Dec 2, 1918

Discharged from the CEF at Montreal as “Medically Unfit”

Ø  Rank on discharge Private

Ø  Address on discharge – 407 Catherine St, Ottawa Ontario

Ø  Entitled to wear one casualty stripe


Sep 22, 1921

1914-15 Star, British War Medal and Victory Medal sent to 407 Catherine St Ottawa Ontario


The Victory Medal shown below is not the medal earned by
Alfred Temple but shown here for display purposes only.
If you know the location of his missing Victory Medal,
Contact the webmaster


Nov 22, 1927

Alfred Temple died in Montreal, Quebec of shock, complicated by the fracture of both legs.  His death was considered to be a result of his service in WW1.  He was buried in the Mount Royal Cemetery, Montreal.


The marker is faded and most difficult to read.


Sep 18, 1929

Death Plaque, Scroll and Memorial Cross sent to widow at 536 Albert St Ottawa Ontario

It was noted that the mother’s Memorial Cross was waiting for application as she was recorded as insane




Return to Tribute list